CD30 Cutter pinrails

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

samgoucher

CD30 Cutter pinrails

Post by samgoucher »

Has anyone fabricated/installed pinrails on the shrouds. If so, are there pictures? Thinking they may be in the way of the sheets with the Yankee cut jib.
Sam Goucher
s/v To The Moon
Jim Walsh

Re: CD30 Cutter pinrails

Post by Jim Walsh »

Steve Laume has fabricated a set for Raven. I'm sure he will provide details.
You can see them in this photo I took in 2017 shortly after his arrival to Bermuda.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
samgoucher

Post by samgoucher »

Thank you Jim. Exactly what I was looking for.
Sam Goucher
s/v To The Moon
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I wanted the pin rails more for butt rests at the mast than for their intended purpose. They are set at a height so that I can lean back against them. They have never interfered with the jib sheets as they are inside of the cap shroud.

I went to several books to come up with a design and attachment plan. Mine are laminated from two pieces of 1" stock. The overall measurements are 1&3/4" X 2&2/3" by aprox. 22&3/4". The ends are tapered at the same angle as the shrouds and a grove was cut in the ends for the shrouds. Everything is nicely rounded over including the openinngs for the pins. I first served the shrouds and then laced the pin rails in place. Note the two little holes inside of the shrouds. The pins are 1/2" stainless rod, set into turned wooden handles. You could make them all wood but the stainless is better for repelling boarders. I centered the first hole and the other two are 6" to either side of center. I used a pine board to set the height and then marked the angles and length for the finished pieces.

I struggle with pictures on here but this is an old thread that shows them pretty well, in front of a nice back drop, Steve.

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... rt#p184027
Ben Thomas

Post by Ben Thomas »

Sam, I have a pair that I made several years ago out of teak, pins as well. I used them briefly then decided that access around the lowers was more important.
I'll take some photos and post if you are interested in them.
Send me a PM after seeing photos.
Cheers, Ben
samgoucher

Post by samgoucher »

Thank you Steve! I have access to some old growth cedar I'm going to cut down. I just wanted to be able to get all the halyard off the mast and maybe stow some other stuff. Hadn't thought of a butt rest and will place mine at the right height.
Sam Goucher
s/v To The Moon
Jim Cornwell

Post by Jim Cornwell »

IMG_0747.jpg
Here's one of the two pinrails (pinracks is said to be the proper term for these - but I don't like it) I made and just recently installed on Yankee. Teak rail, turned ash belaying pins. Details gladly shared if there's any interest! Butt-height very useful for working at the mast!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
samgoucher

Post by samgoucher »

Thank you Jim. Could I trouble you for those details? Yours are exactly what I'm looking for.

Sam Goucher
Sam Goucher
s/v To The Moon
Jim Cornwell

Post by Jim Cornwell »

Sam: Rails are made from 8/4 teak (1-3/4" thick +/-) x 3" high with three 3/4" holes and 1/4" x 3" slots at each end to accommodate the 7/32" shrouds plus parcelling. Two 1/4-20 x 1-3/4" bronze carriage bolts at each end (Jamestown Distributors) firmly clamp the rail to the shrouds. Counterbore for nuts and washers on inboard side to avoid snags!
Secret of tight grip is parcelling of the wire with old fashioned friction tape! Belaying pins are 12" long with 11/16" tails, turned from seasoned ash with equal 4-1/2" projections above and below the rail. I started out with 1/2" stainless steel dowels, but found them way too heavy, however fearsome they might be to boarding pirates, not to mention decidedly non-buoyant!

Best advice I can give is to make a mockup of the whole thing before committing to this project. A mockup will allow you to test the best height above deck to suit you and your boat. Some like butt height; some like small of the back. Mine wound up at just-below-belt-level, which works well for me, allowing a comfortable and secure lean when at the mast. I'm hundreds of miles away from Yankee at present, dodging the oppressive heat of the mid-Atlantic But when I get back to her I'll post some detailed pix.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I did much the same as Jim. I parceled with tarred marlin, which is traditional and smells like heaven. I did not use any bolts and find that the pin rails stay in place, with lashing only. By using a slot for the shrouds, you are only relying on the lashing to keep the rails from sliding down. These things give you a very secure feeling when working at the mast. They also look salty as all get out.

Not only are the stainless ones good for repelling boarders but they also make a fine fish billy. I have to admit that my adult son made me extremely nervous when he pulled one out and started playing around with it. If it goes over the side, it is gone! I opted for the composite pins because I thought they may be less inclined to jump out of the rails or to swell and be hard to remove. All wooden ones would float. Everything in life is a compromise.

I also had the cut offs from turning all wood belaying pins for the Amistad. I have three pins aboard her and a part of her on Raven. It kind of adds a bit of heritage to my boat, Steve.
samgoucher

Post by samgoucher »

In case anyone wanted to see what I came up with. Pin rails made from 100 year old cedar and the belaying pins turned from mesquite.
20181213_094102.jpg
20181213_094020.jpg
Sam Goucher
s/v To The Moon