experience with sail makers

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Coosaw

experience with sail makers

Post by Coosaw »

I'm in the process of getting quotes on a new 135% genoa for my CD 26. So far I've sent request to Ullman Sails, and FX Sails out of Charleston, SC. I'm not familiar with FX but one of my sailing buddies gave that maker a good recommendation. Also I'm considering sending quote request to Mack Sails out of Stuart, Fl and to Linthigum Sailmaker out of N. J. The latter two are flagged, per the CDSOA, to give CDSOA members discounts

Have any of you had experiences with any of these sail makers that you can share with me?

Thanks ,
Rick
mgphl52

Re: experience with sail makers

Post by mgphl52 »

Once again, I can only sing great praises for the folks at Precision Sails....
Their service to fix an issue that was actually my fault went far beyond any I have ever experienced!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
casampson

Post by casampson »

If it were me, I think I would try to deal with a local sail loft. That way they can help you if there are issues, maintain the sails for you off-season, etc. Clearly more expensive, but possibly worth it in the long run.

Chris
pjust

Post by pjust »

I've had good experiences with Bohndell Sails and Pope Sails here in Mid-Coast Maine. Of the two, Pope was less expensive but at least as good as Bohndell.
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
Brimag

Post by Brimag »

Prescision sails made a nice full batten main for my Typhoon Senior..4 local lofts way too expensive Great customer service
abutkus03

Post by abutkus03 »

For years I've used SailCare in Ford City, PA. They've built sails for all five boats I've owned, included my current boat at CD25. They not only do a great job, but their prices are better than any other sail loft I've contact.
rjnale
Location: 1982 CD Typhoon Daysailer "Typhoon Mary" Hull #97 model K Syracuse NY

Post by rjnale »

I second SailCare in PA.
I sent them my Typhoon sails to have evaluated and was expecting them to tell me i need a new 150 jib. But NOPE. They sent back a proposal to clean and recondition, repair some stitching on both sails, repair the batten pockets on the main and add a new panel and sunshade to the roller reef jib. The total price was less than a new jib!
They came back beautiful and my dock mates thought I bought new sails!!
Rick