CD25 Riding High

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

casampson

CD25 Riding High

Post by casampson »

My boat seems to be floating about 6 to 8 inches in the bow higher than she ought to be, judging by the boot stripe. A nearby CD25 is level and there is only an inch or so between the boot stripe and the water. My immediate thought is that a) there must be some weight missing in the bow or b) the boot stripe is painted incorrectly. Is this something to be concerned about?

Thanks.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Re: CD25 Riding High

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Is your water tank empty. My 25 had a 30 gal water tank below the V berth. That's 266 pounds of weight in the end of the boat. I always sailed with mine full to keep her level.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

Place a carpenters level on the cabin floor fore and aft.
That will tell because the floor on a CD 25 is parallel with the bottom of the keel.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Chrisa006

Post by Chrisa006 »

I always put water in the tank under the vberth. It makes a lot of difference.
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
casampson

Post by casampson »

I'm sure the water tank is empty. I'll fill it up this weekend and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice.

Chris
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

She won’t be riding high once you get all your stuff, plus you, into the boat.
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Totally unrelated question, but how did you thread your mooring floats over the eye splice in the pendant? I can never do that. Mine are secured by restrictor knots on both sides of each float along the length of the pendant. Also, where the heck is your mooring ball? What's supporting the weight of the chain?
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
casampson

Post by casampson »

Carl -- the floats are put on the pennant/pendant before the eye is spliced. I used to make my own, but had a braided one made by R&W Rope in New Bedford this year. As for the mooring ball, I have never liked them. They always seem to get in the way. That said, I will probably add one next year.

Cathy -- I am not sure how to interpret your comment. Are you saying I am overweight? If so, my wife would agree with you...