Tube For Mast Wiring

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

hilbert

Tube For Mast Wiring

Post by hilbert »

I took a page from Fred's FeNIX Project by adding a tube down the center of the mast step for wiring.

The tube is 1" FRP, epoxied into the deck:

There were large holes in the liner that had teak covers:

I made repairs to the liner and used G10 as a backing plate. I created a socket for the option of adding a compression post in the future:

I can confirm that the mild steel rectangular profile was in good condition and difficult to drill out in steps to 1" (I didn't want to contaminate the hole with cutting oil):

I used butyl tape around the bolts and lots of Sikaflex-291 on all the surfaces. It should also act as an insulator between the stainless Dwyer mast base plate and the aluminum mast step:
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Tube For Mast Wiring

Post by John Stone »

I have the same set up in my new mast. Make sure you bring the wires down past the tube, form a drip loop, then back up, and then down the tube. That way water won’t run right down the wires and into the tube like a funnel.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

I sure wish I could do stuff so nicely,maybe when all is functioning and i get some cruising then i can start working on the niceities. A photo of my new canvass. I took my windlass in, hopefully for warranty repair.I wondered why there was no comments on the Lewmar profish 1000. It's not freefalling and trying to
Motor it down seems like a gear is broke. Next projects are lifelines and replacing every piece of rope on here.I would hate having to cling to a loose boom when the sheet breaks as i am reefing
Attachments
P_20180610_125222.jpg
P_20180610_125222.jpg (3.78 MiB) Viewed 593 times
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

John, thanks for the suggestion to add a drip loop. Now I will not have to add it to my long "could've, would've, should've" list.

JD, I sure wish my boat was in the water, don't sweat the little things. Leoma is looking good!
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

If you haven't already done so, you might want to put a good chamfer on the end of the tube as well. You would hate to have your solution become a problem, Steve.
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

Steve wrote:If you haven't already done so, you might want to put a good chamfer on the end of the tube as well. You would hate to have your solution become a problem
Steve, I've got nothing. Would you explain this?

Thanks,
Jonathan
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

I'm sure Steve will chime in to clarify, but I think he's talking about rounding over the cut edges of your tube so that it doesn't chafe your wires.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I agree. That’s exactly what he is suggesting and it’s a very good observation. You can round over the inside and out side edges a number of ways...with a file, particularly one that is convex on one side, or a rat tail file for the inside. You can also use with a good quality abrasive paper about 120-180 wrapped around a small diameter PVC pipe. The sharp edges of the down tube could change through the protective sheath of the electrical wire.
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

John Stone wrote:I have the same set up in my new mast. Make sure you bring the wires down past the tube, form a drip loop, then back up, and then down the tube. That way water won’t run right down the wires and into the tube like a funnel.
Please forgive me but I'm having trouble visualizing how to do this and how it would work.

I,love this project and had thought of the same idea a few years ago when the mast was unstepped but was a little worried that drilling through the iron might compromise its structural integrity. However since someone else has already taken the plunge I'm tempted to reconsider it. As to chamfering the edges, which sounds like a good idea, could you use PVC pipe, which would be easy to smooth the edges?

Beautiful work by the way!!!
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

gates_cliff wrote:I'm having trouble visualizing how to do this and how it would work.
The wiring will come down the inside of the mast and will need to be secured to side of the mast otherwise it will bang around and tortue you. After you bring the wire bundle down past the top of the tube from a standard drip-loop then take the bundle up and over the tube and down inside the tube. And water that flows down the bundle (and there will be water) will drip off the bottom of the wire bundle as it can’t flow back “up hill” over the top of the drip tube. You must leave one or more exit holes at the bottom of the mast or step so the accumulated water can exit out of the mast.

I installed a mast dam in my spar too (it’s keel stepped). So the water flows out of the mast above the deck and does not go into the bilge. We installed a similar “drip tube” in the dam in case we ever decide to install wire in the mast. But, so far, we have install no wiring in the mast.
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

Thanks, John. Understand now.
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide