Radio connection at top of mast

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

psjanker

Radio connection at top of mast

Post by psjanker »

I disconnected my antenna from the cable at the top of my mast to facilitate its transport and noticed evidence of Arlington on the cable pin...came of easy with a piece of sandpaper. Also notice that female end of antenna has a big void and that the pin would not necessary engage in metal to metal contact. Is this ok? My experience with radio connections is that there needs to be metal to metal contact.

Thoughts?

Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
psjanker

Re: Radio connection at top of mast

Post by psjanker »

Should have stated...arc’ing
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Re: Radio connection at top of mast

Post by Terry »

Metal to metal contact... yes. Your coax may be good, and you may be able to reuse the UHF male connector. As for the antenna, probably not, if the inside surfaces are toast.

I can't tell from the pic, but is that the antenna mount that the antenna is screwed into? If the antenna can be unscrewed, it may have a male UHF connector. The mount, then, would be a back-to-back UHF female. This mount--really an adapter--can be replaced.