Spreader removal on a Cape Dory 30

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

psjanker

Spreader removal on a Cape Dory 30

Post by psjanker »

Anyone have experience....type of fasteners....lub prior to removal attempt....common replacement parts?

V/r

Pete
Steve Laume

Re: Spreader removal on a Cape Dory 30

Post by Steve Laume »

If you are just interested in removing the spreaders from their sockets, it couldn't be much easier.

The spreaders fit in there pretty loosely so there is no need for any kind of penetrating oil. On Raven, they are held in place with one stainless steel cotter pin. There is no need for anything else as they are only ever under a compression load so the pin just makes sure they don't fall out when not under load. At the tips they should be wired to the cap shrouds so they remain in the right location.

The spreaders can be removed with nothing, more than a decent pair of pliers, Steve.
SPIBob

Post by SPIBob »

I had to replace a spreader on my '79 CD 28. The spreader and the base had become one. Even though they are both aluminum, I'm guessing that there was enough difference between the two that Galvanic corrosion had pretty much welded them together. I tried multiple soakings with PB Blaster. I drilled a hole in the spreader, put in a brass rod and hammered on it. Nothing. It wouldn't budge.

A marina neighbor recommended the "heat and beat" technique. I would have tried that if the mast had been down. But it was stepped and I didn't feel comfortable using a blow torch while hanging halfway up the mast.

I finally cut off the spreader about a 1/4 inch outside the spreader base and then drilled and chiseled out the rest. What a chore.

If you're changing out your spreader I would recommend doing it while the mast is down. If it's still up, then I hope your experience is closer to what Steve describes than to what I ran into.
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

It turned out that the process was easy....just the two cotter pins and the just pulled apart. Aligned speaker bars with mast and now everything is ready for bubble wrap and shrink wrapping. Boat hauler will pick up boat the 17th or 18th of May. Used a jig pole to remove mast, so had to splash the boat, motor to the jib pole (telephone pole with jig arrangement), pull stick, move boat back to stands, prep mast, take 5 guys and carry mast to boat. Good afternoon effort.

V/r

Pete
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

A couple of photos.

Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.