Installing air conditioning unit in Cape Dory Daysailor

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Installing air conditioning unit in Cape Dory Daysailor

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I recently purchased a 1980 Cape Dory Daysailor (open cabin model). I live in Miami. As everyone knows it is very hot. I would like to install an air conditioning unit in the Daysailor. I would like recommendations on what make and model of a/c unit I should install. I have heard good reports about the Marine Air 16000 BTU unit. I am especially interested in recommendations on BTU size since it will be used mostly in hot and humid Miami.

I would also appreciate recommendations on where to install the a/c unit so as to maintain proper trim and balance.

Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Ben Miller

Re: Installing air conditioning unit in Cape Dory Daysailor

Post by Ben Miller »

I think I've got just the thing for you, Roberto. Weight trim isn't an issue, and if the wind dies, you can make your own!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I have no personal experience installing air conditioning on a day sailor but it is an interesting proposition so I will be closely following the recommendations of our more knowledgeable members. :roll:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Post by Steve Kuhar »

Roberto,

If you install the unit well forward you can maintain proper trim by installing dinghy davits on the stern.

Steve Kuhar
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Post by Steve Kuhar »

Roberto,

Upon further reflection about your problem of how to keep cool while sailing in Miami, I was reminded of a similar problem in which one of our members who was fishing our northernmost waters in the native traditions was looking for suggestions on how he might stave off the cold, and it was suggested by members of this forum, that if he were to build a small fire in the bottom of the boat it would at least keep his feet warm. Unfortunately, when he tried to act on this suggestion the entire boat went up in flames and he lost everything.

This lends credence to the old adage that "You cant have your kayak and heat it too."

Steve
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

Have you considered making a one piece drop board and cutting a hole big enough to install a small window unit - I've seen this work on a CD 36.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WRRZLYB?aa ... 8680510301
Forrest Paddock
Houston, TX
Supporting this site through membership in the CDSOA, Inc. Member 420
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Roberto,

I wish you a "Happy April Fools Day", too.

Think Spring,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Hi Roberto,

Please excuse my tardiness in replying. After studying the problem in depth, I believe you can avoid extra holes in the hull and expensive wiring & plumbing costs, not to mention the expense of a reefer unit itself.
My suggestion is that you arrange a contract with a local ice house to deliver a cockpit load of crushed ice to your nearest fuel dock early every morning that you wish to sail. Then you can simply "slide" into the cool and go sailing.
Most likely, by the time the ice melts, you'll still be numb and not feel the heat.

Hope this helps!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

I have no experience with this alternative. However, it is the only 12v (or 24v) air-conditioning unit I have found for marine use. It is also very expensive. Though, they did try to sell me an older unit at about half price.

http://www.cruisencomfortusa.com/marineseries
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

By far this is the best boat air conditioner for a Daysailor. As you can see I installed one in a Typhoon Daysailor last April 1st. Wow, was it ever cooool!!!!

Warning: if the setting is too cool, you may experience tattered sails.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com