Wood Isl. Harbor near Biddeford Pool, Maine

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Wood Isl. Harbor near Biddeford Pool, Maine

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Has anyone ever anchored south of Gooseberry Island (south of Wood Island and next to Wood Island Harbor)? I was wondering if it's a good option if Biddeford Pool and Wood Island Harbor are full. Obviously any weather from the east would make it a no go.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Bob Lascelles

Re: Wood Isl. Harbor near Biddeford Pool, Maine

Post by Bob Lascelles »

Hi Cathy,
I’ve never anchored south of Gooseberry Island, however I’ve had good luck getting a mooring on short notice with the Biddeford Pool Yacht Club, either in the Pool or in Wood Island Harbor. Another place to consider might be Richmond Island Harbor at Cape Elizabeth

All the best

Bob
Bob Lascelles
CD25D Vindolanda #111
York, ME
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

Cathy Monaghan wrote:Has anyone ever anchored south of Gooseberry Island (south of Wood Island and next to Wood Island Harbor)? ...
I was in there many years ago. Scenic enough, and as you noted it's often impossible to get into the Pool or even find an open mooring in this area. However even without winds from the east quadrant there's usually a pretty good swell. If I recall most folks just use this area to get into and out of the other harbors and the Saco River. Locals seem to prefer north or south of Richmond Island, which provides some fine dinghy options.
Ken Textor

Post by Ken Textor »

Cathy,

Yes, I have anchored there and it's too rolly for a comfortable overnight, even in settled weather. If, however, you have a fair tide for going up the Saco River, I'd encourage you to do so. Except on midsummer weekends, traffic isn't too bad and the scenery is downright bucolic. Halfway up is a good family marina and there are places where you can set a hook for a peaceful overnight. The head of navigation has pros and cons but really isn't a must-see. Good luck,

Ken
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

South of Gooseberry Island? I went in there once by accident on my first approach to Wood Island Harbor. My recollection is the bottom is rocky with kelp. Another option is to anchor close to Stage Island (the island with the old stone day beacon). It's more or less out of the current, and almost no one anchors there. I'm always the only boat there. Look for the 5-foot spot on the chart, and stay just outside that spot. Did I just give away my secret spot?
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Thanks everybody.
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay