New Caretaker Introduction CD300ms and a question on davits

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tburkett

New Caretaker Introduction CD300ms and a question on davits

Post by tburkett »

Hi,

I wanted to introduce myself to the group. My wife(Sue) and I have become caretakers of the Cape Dory 300 ms Motor sailer Pelican. She is on the hard now at Oak Harbor Marina on Rock Creek, just off of the Patapsco River on the Chesapeake.

Right now we are catching up on a lot of deferred matinence by the PO. I'm starting at the bottom and working my way up replacing the shaft, stern bearing, stuffing box, servicing all the through hulls-most of which were frozen. lots of engine work, but mostly replacing bolt on's like water pumps, file filer, some hoses, etc. The engine itself is tight and hopefully will last another couple thousand hours before an overhaul. Hope to have her in the water by early April for a season cruising the Chesapeake and if the fates allow a trip south next fall.

Looking forward to talking with other 300ms owners. It's our first motor sailer so I have a lot to learn.

One question I have for any 300ms owners is that we are thinking of adding davits on the stern for a fatty knees dinghy- anyone have suggestions on models that work well on the 300ms.

Tom
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Re: New Caretaker Introduction CD300ms and a question on dav

Post by Steve Kuhar »

Tom,

Congratulations on your new boat and welcome to the message board.

A check of the CDSOA database shows that we have eight active members who own a 300MS, three of them are members of the Chesapeake Fleet. Most CDSOA fleet activities involve a lot of discussion about every conceivable topic that a member might want to discuss, and the meetings are a great source for any information that you may need.

Many of us believe that the best $40.00 that we ever spent on our boats was for a membership in the Cape Dory Sailboat Owners Association. Please consider joining us, we do not think you will be disappointed.

Steve Kuhar
CDSOA Membership Chair
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Tom,
Let me join Steve in welcoming you to the CDSOA bulletin board, and, of course, in urging you to join the organization.
If you're interested, the Chesapeake Fleet is having its Annual Meeting next Saturday, Feb. 17, in Fredericksburg, VA. You can find more information on this meeting on the CDSOA website. Check with Fleet Captain Nancy Schwartzkopf (cdsoa.chesapeakeNOSPAM@gmail.com) to see if you can sign up. FWIW, I'll be there.
Enjoy your boat, and the fellowship of other CD owners.
Fair winds,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Tom, I have owned our MS 300 since June 2005. If you have questions or would like to talk send me a PM and we can exchange phone numbers and email addresses. I’m very happy with Quest.

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

While not a fan of davits from an aesthetic standpoint, they make a lot of sense to me from a practical stand point. I have seen quite a few over the years but two years ago while sailing in the BVI I saw a pair on a J44 that really caught my eye. I even rowd over and chatted with the owner to ask about them. They were made by Simpson Davis in the UK. 316 SS with different base styles and they are removable. They also swivel. The pair I looked at were LSD 50s or 75s. I sent an email to the company and asked about price etc. Though I don’t remember what they cost I do remember being surprised that it was very reasonable. If I were going to get a pair of davits I think these would be at the top of my list.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.