Replacing port glass

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

csoule13

Replacing port glass

Post by csoule13 »

Now that the winter cover is on, it's time to get this cracked glass replaced on the opening ports. What's everyone favorite way of getting the opening frame off the hinges? What catastrophic mistake have other learned the hard way that I should avoid(I assume I'll come up with my own unique way of messing this up).
bgephart

Re: Replacing port glass

Post by bgephart »

I just purchased a pin punch the size of the hinge pins (?) and tapped them out with a hammer. I took the windows to a local Rick’s Glass shop and they replaced with same type glass. Easy installation with the same pin punch and hinge pins. Not expensive or difficult.
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

bgephart wrote:I just purchased a pin punch the size of the hinge pins (?) and tapped them out with a hammer. I took the windows to a local Rick’s Glass shop and they replaced with same type glass. Easy installation with the same pin punch and hinge pins. Not expensive or difficult.
That's what I was hoping. The local glass place here did some work on my Dad's Ericson last year. odd, non-standard shape. Just rolled in with the empty frame and said "Help". Bonus, they let my pup in the shop to hang out and make friends.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I didn't notice it specifically mentioned so I'll just add that's it's important that only tempered glass be used for the replacement.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

bgephart wrote:I just purchased a pin punch the size of the hinge pins (?) and tapped them out with a hammer. I took the windows to a local Rick’s Glass shop and they replaced with same type glass. Easy installation with the same pin punch and hinge pins. Not expensive or difficult.
I didn't think there was anything on a boat that easy.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

Updating for those who stumble over this in future searches.

Punching the hinges out was easy enough, but getting an angle on some of them was a challenge. Local auto glass store priced them at ~$60/per for glass and install on the frames.

Follow up question - the nice lady at the front desk was a little unsure how they were going to remove the existing glass from the frame. In case the tech calls back scratching their head, any one have a particular success story in this regard?
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

One more update for those who may stumble on this thread down the road.

Having now tried two glass places, I have been told:
1) It's tempered glass with some type of glaze
2) No, it's regular glass, no glazing or safety glass or anything special.

We'll see what the third glass shop has to say. If the peanut gallery has any definitive answer, it would be appreciated.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Well, one way to tell is to break the glass. Tempered glass will break into sharp shards, safety glass will break in to little pebbles, or the pieces will stay "glued" together with the safety film. It is rare, but not unheard of, for safety glass to be unlabeled. Regular glass will break more easily and should stay in fairly large pieces. Be advised that a piece of glass that small can be hard to break. I am surprised that a glass place cannot tell you what it is.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

The answer to your glass woes - Go some place that works with boat owners! Found a glass place in Annapolis(that just happens to be down the street from Bacon Sails), and they are putting in what I believe they refered to as a safety glass. As the nice lady said "We don't have to match what was used in 1978 if we can do better."

The last question on this little project is how in the world do you clean the bronze frame? Mine are mostly black with some green patina.

For anyone looking to tackle this in a CD27, the two ports up in the v berth were a PITA to get an angle to punch out the hinges. Re-installing these will I'm sure be a joy. But they'll look spiffy, and I'm replacing the gasket material while I'm at it, so the final product will be a win.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

csoule13 wrote:The answer to your glass woes - Go some place that works with boat owners! Found a glass place in Annapolis(that just happens to be down the street from Bacon Sails), and they are putting in what I believe they refered to as a safety glass. As the nice lady said "We don't have to match what was used in 1978 if we can do better."

The last question on this little project is how in the world do you clean the bronze frame? Mine are mostly black with some green patina.

For anyone looking to tackle this in a CD27, the two ports up in the v berth were a PITA to get an angle to punch out the hinges. Re-installing these will I'm sure be a joy. But they'll look spiffy, and I'm replacing the gasket material while I'm at it, so the final product will be a win.
"Safety glass" is non-specific. You would expect a professional to be specific. Spartan chose to use tempered glass (AKA toughened glass) in this application and they still do.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_glass
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time