CD27 - Cockpit seating improvements

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

csoule13

CD27 - Cockpit seating improvements

Post by csoule13 »

Santa is dropping hints that they need some ideas for things to put under the tree this year.

Anyone use something like the Crazy Creek chair(http://www.crazycreek.com/original-chair/) or similar in their cockpit? The single throwable cushions don't really do it for me. This seems like a good solution both for while under sail and when just hanging out.
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Re: CD27 - Cockpit seating improvements

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi:
I used to have a mini beanbag chair aboard. Super comfortable, versatile, easily stowed, not damaged by spray, inexpensive.

Tony Jeske
C&C27 #581
FLYING CIRCUS
Silver Gate YC, San Diego
Nebe

Post by Nebe »

I have a crazy creek for camping and wouldn’t think it would be a good match for cockpit seating as it’s designed to pivot on its back corner and there’s not much padding.
A friend found some of these at a local discount store (ocean state job lot) and says they are super awesome as cockpit chairs.

http://www.beachstore.com/Beach-Product ... ning-Beach
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

>>The single throwable cushions don't really do it for me. <<

Keep in mind that cushions are not there for comfort, they're there for throwing! You still need to have one available.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

We had the same issue on the Far Reach. I used Crazy Creek folding camping cushions for a while. We had them from our back-packing days. They're great when used for their intended purpose. But they provided little comfort in the cockpit. I purchased two of the West Marine Low Back Go-Anywhere Cushion. They have a ratcheting mechanism in them so they lay flat or ratchet up through a wide variety of seating positions. The foam is soft but supportive. The frame is steel and I read some critical comments about that but we have had no problem in nearly two years of use. They are super comfortable--a real luxury item. We open them up and lay them flat for storage. I have see them selling as low as $49.00

Edit: I had to edit this post as the picture I originally posted I was sitting on regular blue throw cushions vice the Go-Anywhere Cushion. I had photo from my phone and with my eyes these days . . . .

In the top picture, I'm definitely sitting on the Go-Anywhere. The throw cushion is on the bridge-deck in front of the companionway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by John Stone on Dec 13th, '17, 11:47, edited 2 times in total.
Nebe

Post by Nebe »

John Stone,
I have to ask.. What are those two lines coming out under your traveler? Wind vane control lines?
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Exactly. They engage and disengage the windvane. A nice feature of the Cape Horn Windvane is you can route all the control lines below deck. It keeps the cockpit clear of lines.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

My brother gave me two of these original Sport A Seats for my birthday a few years ago and they have been really good. Comfortable, durable and water/stain resistant and they don't mar the deck. I've used Crazy Creeks for years and love them. While these do not fold down as small, they are light years ahead in comfort.

https://www.sportaseat.com/the-sportaseat/

Paul
CDSOA Member
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Paul, those are nice cushions too. Are they racheting like the west marine cushions?
frankfurder

Post by frankfurder »

I have a 25d and a cushy ratcheted chair. I wouldn’t trade the crazy creek for anything, forget the padding I like the back support. I take it on all of my sailing trips on big boats too. It fits in my carry on duffel and if you want to sleep on the deck you can use it as a pad. Go with the crazy creek! :)