Typhoon outboard engine: Mercury 3.5 or Honda 2.3?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Graziella

Typhoon outboard engine: Mercury 3.5 or Honda 2.3?

Post by Graziella »

Hello hello,

So here is my question: what outboard engine should I get for my Ty?
I read a bunch of comments from previous messages here but I was wondering if you guys have any recent experience.

I am reading horrible reviews online for the Mercury... just trying to understand if it's true!

Thanks a lot!
Graziella
Jeff D

Re: Typhoon outboard engine: Mercury 3.5 or Honda 2.3?

Post by Jeff D »

You will find lots of opinions.

When I found my DS it came with an 8hp which was overkill. I purchased a 2hp Honda 10 years ago and it has been very reliable and offers plenty of power. I have replaced the plug once, the oil every year and the lower unit oil every other year. It never fails to start on the second pull. The only downside, which takes some getting use to, is that it has a centrifugal clutch. When it starts you need to be prepared to move. Once it warms up it will idle without spinning the prop, but on start-up you need to be prepared.

If I were to buy a new motor I would consider the Yamaha 2.5 which has a neutral. I have a 10hp Yamaha which is a great motor. That experience plus the availability of a neutral would get me to at least consider the Yamaha
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Another good option is the 3.5 long shaft Tohatsu.
The 2.5 Tohatsu would be fine but it doesn't come with a long shaft.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
pjust

Post by pjust »

I've used the Honda 2.3, which worked very well and had more than enough power.
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
Graziella

Post by Graziella »

I was thinking of the Honda but this thing that doesn't have neutral is quite a no go for me... I am not an experienced sailor...
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Though I've used Honda outboards a lot for work and like them, when I was researching outboards for our dinghy last year I became pretty much settled on this Suzuki four stroke. It is about 30lbs, same as the Honda, and a lot quieter. Might be good to consider in your comparisons if 2.5 is strong enough for you. I never got a motor so I've no experience with it but I would probably still get it. On our old Typhoon I had an old Evinrude 5hp which worked fine but was a tad heavy.

https://onlineoutboards.com/suzuki-2-5- ... oards.html
Paul
CDSOA Member
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I have read that since 2016, the Yamaha 2.5 (up to the 8hp I think) has a newly designed "oil leak prevention system." They claim this new system permits the outboard to be laid on 3 of its 4 sides without risk of oil flooding into the cylinder. If true that would be a very handy feature.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

John Stone wrote:I have read that since 2016, the Yamaha 2.5 (up to the 8hp I think) has a newly designed "oil leak prevention system." They claim this new system permits the outboard to be laid on 3 of its 4 sides without risk of oil flooding into the cylinder. If true that would be a very handy feature.
That's interesting! I had a late 1990s Tohatsu 6-hp 4-stroke that could be stored on the side opposite the tiller. It spent most of the time on the cabin sole of my CD25 since I usually sailed in and out of my slip.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

I loved the centrifugal clutch on my Honda 2.0. It basically is a neutral that you don't have to switch to, just drop the throttle. Quick and if you use the motor and rudder in tandem you can turn on a dime. I didn't have the problem Jeff mentioned at startup.