Kiwigrip Color

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Kiwigrip Color

Post by Markst95 »

I plan on redoing the decks for next season. Anyone use just the straight white kiwigrip? How is it at keeping clean? Also what would be a good white match in color for the cabintop/trim areas in a petit or interlux product?
Steve Laume

Re: Kiwigrip Color

Post by Steve Laume »

I used the white Kiwi Grip on my cabin top and it was a very close match to the original gel coat, Steve.
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

I've been applying white KiwiGrip to most horizontal surfaces. I selected white to keep the surfaces (and interior) as comfortable as possible in summer.

New applications of white KiwiGrip always appear whiter than older applications. I'm not sure if this is due to dust and dirt or just that the initial shine dims.
I have found that the surfaces cleans up well with soap and a brush.

I've read that vigorous stirring or shaking can create air bubbles that result in micro-craters that trap dirt. I've only spotted one micro-craters after applying a gallon of KiwiGrip, so I don't consider this much of an issue. Certainly would be easy enough to smooth out offending spots with a Dremel like tool.

jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

I used the tan color after the cockpit sole restoration on Christine C. I think it's cooler than what was there which was about the same color but no non-skid. I think it was some sort of paint, probably close in color to the original (given what I know about the prior owner). The tan KG does get warmer than the cabin top, which is white.

Jeff
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

How often are you recoating?
Nebe

Post by Nebe »

White decks are hard on the eyes as they reflect so much more sunlight than darker colored decks. I like tan decks for that reason.