haulout (with small mishap)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Megunticook

haulout (with small mishap)

Post by Megunticook »

Went to the harbor this morning to bring the boat over from the mooring to the floats by the ramp--and the town guys were busy removing the floats! I had checked with the harbormaster last week about that, he promised it would be into November but I guess a big storm is coming Sunday night so he figured let's get it done.

In any case decided to run down one harbor south, Rockport, where they have a nice sheltered ramp at the mouth of the Goose River. Was dreamy at high tide late this afternoon, very still, and got the keel right into the slot on the trailer without much trouble. When we pulled the boat up onto the flat and paused to have a closer look, I was perplexed to see that there was space beneath the keel bottom. To my horror the hull was resting on the two rear support pads, and you could clearly see the fiberglass hull "denting" inward from the source. I immediately lowered the pads, figuring I was in for some major fiberglass repair, but the hull seems to have rebounded with no visible effects. Do you think the structure has been compromised at all?

I saw this happen once on the corner of a float on a very windy day when the boat got away from us, the fiberglass hull dented way in, but then it seemed to pop back out and be fine. Is this just part of the miracle of fiberglass?

Feels great to have her ashore safe and sound, especially with a nasty storm on the way. We've had a warm October but it's getting to be quite chilly at night and the bay feels more "threatening" now. Good time to call it a year, I figure if I'm in the water through Columbus Day, I'm doing well.
sloopjohnl

Re: haulout (with small mishap)

Post by sloopjohnl »

my '76 Typhoon sat in a wooden cradle for a year before i happened upon it. it had similar indentations from the way it sat in the cradle, but they disappeared within a week once it was off the cradle and onto its new trailer.
swparis85

Re: haulout (with small mishap)

Post by swparis85 »

Some call it 'oilcanning'. Happened to my Ty too.
After moving to a better trailer, the fiberglass has relaxed and taken its original shape.
FG is miraculous stuff.

a sailor's joys are as simple as a child's