American flag

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: American flag

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

John Stone wrote:Regarding the Yacht Ensign vs the US Flag--after 26 years of active duty service in the Marine Corps, I don't care what American Flag people fly. I don't care if they are flying it at night without illumination. I don't care if they are flying it off their truck or displaying it incorrectly ... as long as it's not beneath another flag. As long as they are flying it to honor it, then I like it.
I am going to respectfully disagree, in small part, with my friend John S. My thoughts are NOT politically motivated.

I worked for a few "alphabet soup" federal government agencies and retired a few years ago after 37 years service. For me, and only me, the United States Flag is a symbol of religious and political freedom, human rights, decency and the rule of law. Wherever I went when people saw the US Flag they instinctively knew this truth.

While I agree with John S. that "flying it to honor it" is very important, I also believe that if you are going to the effort of flying/honoring it then you should be guided by a few very basic principles of respect. As codified at Title 4, United States Code, Section 8(j) "The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing."

The "rules" governing the display of, and actions with, the United States Flag are set forth at:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/1

They are neither onerous nor time consuming to follow.

If you want to fly the flag at night you should take the time to rig a light dedicated to illuminating the US Flag. It is not a difficult thing to do. If you can't illuminate it then, at sunset, take the US Flag down and raise it again at sunrise.

NEVER fly the US Flag upside down unless you or others are in imminent life threatening danger. Doing so is a statement that you are asking others to risk their lives to save your life. Everyone is taught the meaning of a US Flag flown upside down. Doing so, without just cause, is in my judgment, a capital offense.

In the past several years I have seen people wearing T-shirts or sweatshirts that have a portion of the US Flag stamped on the shirt. While their intentions may be honorable, in my judgment it is disrespectful to what the US Flag symbolizes around the world.

When a flag becomes old and/or tattered it should be properly disposed of. All American Legion and VFW facilities will accept US Flags for proper disposal. They regularly hold respectful flag burning ceremonies. If you have never been to one you should go. It is impactful.

The above are just my own personal thoughts. They have no political motivation or intent.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Roberto,

>>If you want to fly the flag at night you should take the time to rig a light dedicated to illuminating the US Flag.

Riding a heavy cruiser into combat at about 0200, we nonetheless flew the largest ensign we could muster. Shining a spotlight in it seemed at the time (and still does) a very bad idea.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

My flag is fixed on a pole at the stern . Am I supposed to take it down every night?
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

JD-MDR wrote:My flag is fixed on a pole at the stern . Am I supposed to take it down every night?
In port, it's flown from 0800 to sunset. Practice at sea is only to fly the flag if there's someone around to see it (except for Navy combat operations, as noted).
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Isn't it a great country that we can have a discussion like this?

I respect Roberto's view. And he is correct of course. I am familiar with the US Flag Code. In fact I have taught it. And if we lived in a perfect world that's how we would all display the flag.

The code is pretty specific on what is allowed. When the flsg is displayed on the right side of the speaker and when it's on the left. It's never supposed to be part of clothing or napkins or party decorations and on and on. Let's not forget the flag bunting used at the inaugurations. And it was US flag bunting that Booth caught his spur on leaping to the stage after shooting Lincoln that caused him to break his leg. I think the bunting breaks the flag code but in this case it was a good thing no? The black and white of the flag code just seems out of touch in a few areas.

There are probably hundreds of millions of dollars spent on Flag decorations. So far as I know, no attempt has been made to enforce the code. And the reality is, why is it wrong to celebrate using flag decorations? I avoid it as a matter of personal choice ... but it's a lost cause. And I am happy to see people take some pride in our country.

I do fly my flag without illumination. Why? Because my country is still my country even at night even when the darkness is figurative such as times of upheaval, peril, despair. When I was on active duty serving world-wide in infantry and reconnaissance units, in combat and peacetime, I was on guard 24/7 and so my flag represents that watchfulness now. It's always a beacon day and night. In my view it does not mean any less in the dark as it does in the light. Just like America.

So I recommend everyone read and at least be familiar with the US flag code. Know what it says. And then honor our flag in such a way that reflects credit on our country and on you.

Semper Fidelis.
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Post by Terry »

Tom Keevil wrote: Can you identify all of the flags?
One is Y Ddraig Goch. (Cymru) I love it!
Carl Thunberg

So, don't leave us hanging!

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Apart from the obvious country flags, I'm dying to know the rest of the flags.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Tom Keevil

Answers to the flag quiz

Post by Tom Keevil »

Answers to the flag quiz.
On the starboard side:

Canada
British Columbia
Vancouver Island (This was a British colony separate from and preceding British Columbia)
Protection Island (See post above for explanation)
England (Origin of Tom's ancestors; we also lived there for a year)
Wales (We did a boat swap with a Welsh couple)

On the port side:

Ladysmith Yacht Club burgee
Oregon
Wyoming (Jean's birthplace)
New Jersey (Tom's birthplace)
Sweden (Origin of Jean's maternal family)
Scotland (Origin of Jean's paternal family; we also have sailed there during our boat swap)
Netherlands (A gift from a circumnavigating Dutch couple we sailed with for a while in Alaska)
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

And I could have sworn the top one on starboard was the "radar reflector" flag... :)
In Canadian waters, I would have thought that might be be atop on the port side???
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Tom Keevil

Post by Tom Keevil »

You're right, and the radar reflector is usually on the port side. I don't recall how it switched sides during that trip.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

I want to know if its OK to fly my flag like this photo. It was on a 30" staff off the stern but with canvass, outboard and now a propane tank and later a windvane. I need a better place for it.??? I know nobody will complain but I want to keep with proper etiquette. Chapmam's say the luff is OK . I don't think that would be good when sailing. Am I supposed to take it down at night?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

This was supposed to be a tribute to my Father, but the winds got to me. I would have preferred this off of the luff, but I had to use the topping lift. I guess I should not have had the usual flag flying on the staff.
Dad's Flag.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

It always bothers me when someone seems to want to show their patriotism but flies the flag incorrectly.

The American flag or yachting ensign are both acceptable in US waters. Only the American flag is correct when in a foreign country. The flag should be approximately 1" per foot of boat length. It is to go up at 8000 Hrs and come down at sunset. Ideally, it would be flown on a staff at the stern when motoring and 2/3 of the way up the luff of the aft most sail, when sailing. It should never be flown off of either spreader unless you are a foreign vessel flying it as a courtesy. A courtesy should be flown on the starboard spreader.

Please don't fly a pirate flag anywhere on your vessel. You are not a pirate. If you truly are then I might feel free to become a pirateer and seize your vessel, your women and all of your valuables. The rum too.

I used to fly the ensign on a staff. After I installed my wind vane it would not fly free. I then went 2/3 of the way up the back stay, wrapped it with tarred marlin and lashed on a small block. I now have a flag halyard and cleat on the back stay to raise the ensign or the American flag. It is easy to deal with from the cockpit and usually doesn't get wrapped around the stay. I did wind it up once when doing 360 turns to take some video but then just went in the opposite direction for a few revolutions. I could have dropped it to unwrap it but circling again seemed like more fun.

The lashing on the little block did part one time when I was anchored in 50 knot winds. Jim Walsh hauled me up while tethered to the back stay to reattach it but it is much easier to do when the rig is down. Use good quality sail twin and knot it off several times instead of using one continuous lashing. That way it will stay attached even some of the twine chafes through.

I carry an ensign for local waters and an American flag for foreign visits. If it is very windy, when offshore, in international waters, I do take the flag down to keep it from getting battered in the wind.

It's not how big your flag is but how you treat it that shows respect for our nation's symbol, Steve.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

JD
Steve is correct. No doubt about it. Those are the “correct” ways to display the flag on a pleasure craft. Can’t be disputed.

Some might think after a career as an Marine infantry officer I would be hard corps about how our flag is flown. No so. What is important to me is the intent behind displaying the flag. If you want to show pride in our country then great. Fly it the best way you can. That’s the whole point of flying the flag. The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.

I am not a stickler for the “rules.” It’s the Scotts-Irish in me I guess. I don’t require a light be on it at home when flown at night. I figure my country is not afraid of the dark...and neither is my flag...regardless who wants to do us harm. I am as proud of my country at night as I am during the day. US warships fly the flag at night underway and it’s not illuminated. We flew the flag over Ft McHenry during the night of 13 Sept 1814. It was only occasionally illuminated and that was provided by enemy cannon and rocket fire.

I fly my flag about 8’ above the deck off my backstay. I secured the block and flag flag halyard just as Steve described. It’s easier and safer for me to maintain it at that height. Remember, the main thing....

My only caveat is to always fly the American flag in the most senior and prominent position when displayed with other flags. Never treat the flag badly...don’t lay it on the ground, fly it upside down, drape it indiscriminately, wad it up and toss it in a locker, which I know you would never do.

Others will take exception to my more lax attitude. Fine. I am glad you want to fly the flag. I think if our flag could talk she would say “thank you for flying me above your fine ship.”
Last edited by John Stone on Dec 16th, '18, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Thanks Steve and John, So I should get a 30" flag. It would have to go up the topping lift. I don't have a backstay for the mizzen only the aft shrouds and the sheet.??? The main backstays are attached at the same plate as the aft mizzen shrouds. I think I'll get a longer staff and put it back on the stern where it was originally. It's gonna be crowded., I could get a rail mount type. That might be better. I haven't noticed anyone taking them down every night. Maybe because I haven't been paying attention. How do you attach the sail on the luff??
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510