Dismasting a CD30c

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

zekmeister

Dismasting a CD30c

Post by zekmeister »

Hello CD sailors,

I am dismasting my CD30c in preparation for towing. I would like to know what are the bolts and the wires that I need to undo before taking the mast down.

Appreciate all the help.
Marine related only online classified ads web site that offers added exposure to your products or services for free. http://www.marineworldclassifieds.net
Carl Thunberg

Re: Dismasting a CD30c

Post by Carl Thunberg »

You are more brave than I. I would not try to dismast a CD30 by myself. Cranes are cheap. Injuries are not. I'm sure there are ways to do it, and when I was in my twenties I probably would have tried it. Age has a way of tempering your risk tolerance. Be safe.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

DITTO!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

What ever you do go slow. Is that mast deck stepped or keel stepped? You will find wires for the mast mounted lights, the radio antenna, and radar or TV if you have those things. One point I do want to make is that you will be "pulling your mast", not "dismasting". Dismasting is something awful that happens to you, not something you want to do.
Best of luck and be sure to take lots of photos
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
zekmeister

Post by zekmeister »

Thanks for the replies. We will be using a crane to do it. I'm trying to mentally rehearse what I need to remove so I could bring the right tools. It's deck stepped. My previous boat was a tabernacled sailboat and that was quite easy and I know the difference in length and weight that's why I want to make sure of what I'm doing.
Marine related only online classified ads web site that offers added exposure to your products or services for free. http://www.marineworldclassifieds.net
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

First, at the risk of seeming pedantic, you are unstepping your mast, not dismasting. Dismasting is something that happens against your will, probably offshore in a storm, and is very, very bad. My heart skipped a beat when I read the headline, becuase I don't believe anyone has ever reported a CD dismasting.

At my club we have a manual crane, but if you hire a truck crane the process is the same.
-remove the boom
-Coil all halyards neatly and mark them.
-detach all electricals
-remove the lowershrouds and gather them near the base of the mast.
-Loosen (without removing) the backstay and the cap shrouds (upper shrouds) so the mast is being held up but not tight.
- with a long, strong dock line of sufficient strength (7/16" or bigger), Tie a loose bowline around the mast and the lowers, and attach to the crane hook. Raise it up just below the spreaders. Tie the end of the line to a cleat at the base of the mast so the spreaders and spreader bases don't take the bulk of the weight.
-Tie a tag line to another cleat so you can control the bottom of the mast when it comes loose.
-Slowly raise the crane hook. Once you can see the mast start moving a mm or two, take off the backstay, capshrouds and forestay. Bungee them to the base of the mast (and let any rolller furler hang free for a moment).
-Have the crane lift the mast clear of the boat, and start swinging the mast toward some sawhorses you set up earlier. At this point you can gather any roller furler that is swinging free.
-The mast should be slightly bottom-heavy, but you will defintely need someone on a tag line attached to the mast base for control.
-MAKE SURE NO ONE IS EVER STANDING DIRECTLY UNDER THE MAST WHILE IT IS BEING REMOVED.
-As the crane lowers the mast onto the sawhorses, you will need to guide it onto the horses with the tag line or just grabbing the mast.
-go slowly, be safe, and be careful.
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

"Dismasting" in the subject scared me too.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
zekmeister

Post by zekmeister »

Thank you much.
Bill Goldsmith wrote:First, at the risk of seeming pedantic, you are unstepping your mast, not dismasting. Dismasting is something that happens against your will, probably offshore in a storm, and is very, very bad. My heart skipped a beat when I read the headline, becuase I don't believe anyone has ever reported a CD dismasting.

At my club we have a manual crane, but if you hire a truck crane the process is the same.
-remove the boom
-Coil all halyards neatly and mark them.
-detach all electricals
-remove the lowershrouds and gather them near the base of the mast.
-Loosen (without removing) the backstay and the cap shrouds (upper shrouds) so the mast is being held up but not tight.
- with a long, strong dock line of sufficient strength (7/16" or bigger), Tie a loose bowline around the mast and the lowers, and attach to the crane hook. Raise it up just below the spreaders. Tie the end of the line to a cleat at the base of the mast so the spreaders and spreader bases don't take the bulk of the weight.
-Tie a tag line to another cleat so you can control the bottom of the mast when it comes loose.
-Slowly raise the crane hook. Once you can see the mast start moving a mm or two, take off the backstay, capshrouds and forestay. Bungee them to the base of the mast (and let any rolller furler hang free for a moment).
-Have the crane lift the mast clear of the boat, and start swinging the mast toward some sawhorses you set up earlier. At this point you can gather any roller furler that is swinging free.
-The mast should be slightly bottom-heavy, but you will defintely need someone on a tag line attached to the mast base for control.
-MAKE SURE NO ONE IS EVER STANDING DIRECTLY UNDER THE MAST WHILE IT IS BEING REMOVED.
-As the crane lowers the mast onto the sawhorses, you will need to guide it onto the horses with the tag line or just grabbing the mast.
-go slowly, be safe, and be careful.
zekmeister

Post by zekmeister »

Working in the ER has taught me how choice of words will get you attention real quick. :D

Thanks for the replies. You guys rock.
zekmeister

Post by zekmeister »

What size bolts do I need to remove and how many?
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Other than the one bolt holding the boom to the gooseneck, there shouldn't be any bolts. I cannot recall the exact size of that bolt, but I always use a small Cresent wrench. The stays are fastened with clevis pins and cotter keys.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
steveg

Post by steveg »

It would be my strong recommendation for you to hire someone who knows what they are doing. Please do not take this the wrong way, from the sounds of your questions you do not have a clue of what is involved. If my assumption was correct and you do it yourself and have any accident you will likely save money be paying someone to do it who is knowledgeable. In other words the damage that results from a mistake will exceed the amount you saved by doing it yourself. A decent rigger should not need more than a couple of hours to get it down. You can observe and see how it is done for future reference.

Good luck however you choose to handle it.
Last edited by steveg on Oct 3rd, '17, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Post by moctrams »

Rent a crane to take it down. You are going to get hurt along with others helping you.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Bill has the correct procedure. I would add two things. When I worked at a marina we would tie a slip knot (bowline around the line itself around the mast) below the spreaders and raise that up with the crane. Have someone placed next to the base of the mast to help guide the base of it at first when raising and to gingerly test the balance point to know whether you have it right.

This is not too hard a job with a crane but things can go really wrong, especially with an alloy furler foil or if you lose control of the balance or swing to fast. Move very slowly and as it comes down more to a horizontal position support the furler foil in several places. Think through that procedure in advance. Have a few buddies and don't crack open the beers till it is all laying quietly on the sawhorses!

I think a standard tool kit of pliers, screwdrivers and wrenches should suffice for the hardware removal.

Good luck.
Paul
CDSOA Member
zekmeister

Post by zekmeister »

The attached image below is how it's going to sit on top of the boat, hopefully.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.