Hurricane Irma

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Capt Hook

Re: A New Tropical Storm (Soon to be Hurricane) to Worry Abo

Post by Capt Hook »

Roberto,

Are you under an evacuation order?

Are you going to evacuate?
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Captain Hook:

No, I am sufficiently far west that our neighborhood is not within an evacuation zone. The orders of the day have always been "shelter in place" with food and water for 3-5 days, etc. I have always understood that to mean "GUINNESS, food and water". :wink:

Least anyone be concerned, just as I do not drink and drive, I also do not drink and go through hurricanes. Once Irma is well past (probably late Sunday evening) I will DEFINITELY have a few Guinness to, hopefully, toast still having a house with four walls and a sailboat with the keel pointed downward. Otherwise, I will have more than a few Guinness to drown my sorrows at whatever I have lost - house and/or sailboat. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

As of this post it looks like landfall will be early Sunday morning with Irma working her way up from Key Largo to Homestead to "Casa Roberto". :( :( Damn :!: My apologies for the coarse language.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

And just to keep folks busy, up pops Katia... what a season this may be!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Good luck Roberto
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

From one Sox fan to another, best of luck, Roberto!
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

You are all very kind to offer your good wishes and support. While I seem to be the "South Floridian" doing the most posting, there are many Florida Cape Dory caretakers who are truly in harms way with this monster storm - Hurricane Irma.

On behalf of ALL of us Florida Cape Dorians (is that the correct usage :?: :wink: ) THANK YOU ALL :!: Your thoughts really mean a lot.

As of the 2300 hrs NHC/NOAA advisory, Hurricane Irma remains a high Cat. 5, 185 mph monster size hurricane - much, much stronger and bigger than Andrew ever thought of being. The hurricane force winds extend 50-60 miles out from the central wall on all sides. That' 100-120 miles swatch of destruction. Central millibar pressure is down to 916 :!: And, significantly, there is nothing in her path to reduce her size or strength.

Unfortunately, the hope that an upper level low would reach Florida in time to push Irma a little more East has been dashed by the 2300 hrs advisory. Irma remains on a course from the Upper Keys to Homestead to Miami-Dade County proper and then Ft. Lauderdale, WPB, Stuart and Georgia. I have several close friends in the Keys including the owner of a dive shop. He is looking at losing his dive boats to both high winds and/or storm surge.

Unless something significant happens in the next 36-48 hours (VERY unlikely), come Saturday evening/Sunday morning, South Florida is going to experience something it has NEVER experienced in recorded history - not Hurricane Andrew and not even Hurricane Donna in 1960. I won't be able to see it because of no TV (no electricity for weeks at least, assuming I am even around :( ) but those of you outside of Florida will see the massive property destruction and loss of life. Most homes will be reduced to toothpicks of wood and broken CBS blocks. That's what Andrew did. Irma will be much worse. The most current Miami-Dade County code requires only to build to a Cat. 4 storm (up to about 150 mph). Irma is, and will probably remain, a Cat. 5, 185 mph storm at landfall.

Thankfully, I have sufficient Guinness to last a week. :wink: :D Gallows humor.

Again, on behalf of all of us Florida Cape Dorians thank you ALL for you support.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Hang in there, Roberto! My thoughts are with you as well as my Mother & Sister who are staying put in Boca Raton. If the turn north doesn't happen, we've got a lot to do here in NWFL panhandle...
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

csoule13 wrote:From one Sox fan to another, best of luck, Roberto!
Roberto is still recovering from the 19 inning win Tuesday nite.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Second longest game ever at Fenway. Go Boston :!:

On a more somber note, 1100 hrs advisory from NHC/NOAA - beginning Sunday morning, Cat. 5/185 mph Irma will hit Key Largo, Homestead, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, WPB, Stuart, etc. "Same same". :( :( :( :(
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

C'mon man :!: This is ridiculous :!:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Dmitche4

Post by Dmitche4 »

Being from mid-state N.Y., I have no idea what a hurricane would be like (our thing is snow). However I wish everyone to be safe down there. My thoughts and prayers will be with all of you.

David
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

A lot depends on the predicted turn... if she does, bad for southeast Florida, better for the panhandle.
Since my Mom & Sister are stuck in Boca Raton, I feel strongly both ways :!: :!: :!:
This site shows that they will get pounded regardless...
https://www.ventusky.com/?p=12.4;-59.2;3&l=wind-850hpa

Will be moving KAYLA & Tranquil from the docks to anchor tomorrow... :(
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Dmitche4 wrote:Being from mid-state N.Y., I have no idea what a hurricane would be like (our thing is snow). However I wish everyone to be safe down there. My thoughts and prayers will be with all of you.

David
David: You have no idea how lucky you are. I cannot remember the day when I first learned what a hurricane was and what it can do. I was very young.

To give you some perspective on my thoughts, I have lived in South Florida for more than 50 years. I have had TDYs elsewhere but Miami has always been "home base". I have been through several big hurricanes including Andrew (24 August 1992) and now soon Irma (~10 September 2017). I have a nice home and several good friends. I love the weather from Nov - May. I love the ocean. Mostly I love the young pretty college co-eds in bikinis at the bars in the Keys. :wink: :wink: :wink:

I have decided that after this storm I am probably putting my house on the market (lived here 31 years). Given Irma and her anticipated destruction it will be an "as is, where is" sale, mostly for the value of the land. I am then promptly getting in my truck and driving north to inland SC, NC, Va, Morro Bay, Ca., Montana, Wyoming, etc. All good options. Simply stated, I will not go through another hurricane season. David, my friend, consider yourself lucky that you have never experienced a hurricane :!: You never want to. You have no control-NONE. All you can do is buy water, batteries, canned food, prep your house and your Cape Dory and then sit and wait.

It ain't fun which may well account for my making so many posts. Sorry to Cathy and all who monitor this board. :(
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Dmitche4

Post by Dmitche4 »

Roberto,

Ah, I understand, however, my daughter has now chosen to live in Saint Augustine so she is learning about them. She has been there about 7 years now. Please be safe.

David
bill2

Post by bill2 »

Robert

Hope all goes well for you and yours - esp in spite of Irma .

Bill ( we met ME Aug 2007 I believe )