CD gel coat or paint

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Ken Textor

CD gel coat or paint

Post by Ken Textor »

Greetings all,

My aging memory tells me that some business already has in hand the specs for making up either a gel coat or paint that is the white-ish color specific to all Cape Dorys. To be able to purchase such an item for my current project, without having to go through the nightmare of color matching, would be very helpful. I've done some searches of the site and can't seem to come up with anything. Does anyone know if this business and such products actually exist? Or is it just another one of my wishful pipe dreams. Recommendations?

Ken in Maine
Frenchy

Re: CD gel coat or paint

Post by Frenchy »

One supplier is Gel Coat Products in Seattle Wa. I ordered a qt of Cape Dory Beige and a qt of Cape Dory White, each $127.95 in
May, 2014. The gelcoat was mixed 50-50 with Duratec. The Duratec is great stuff - it thins the gelcoat enough to spray or even use
a brush. With a brush, there will be some sanding to get a smooth surface, but not nearly what you have to do if you brushed it on
straight. The number for the beige is #4514, the white is 05__14. (I can't read the middle two numbers of the white, it's covered with
gelcoat drips).
By using a textured roller and adding some talc and cabosil to the beige, you can get a pretty good non-skid. Good luck, Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts