Solar panel battery charging

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

PWadsworth

Solar panel battery charging

Post by PWadsworth »

I´m going to put a solar panel on the companionway hatch of my CD 25 (not the sliding part) and want to put in as much punch as possible since I will have no shore power for the foreseeable future.

I know I´ll need a charge controller. The question is: should I go for an 18-volt panel, or even a 24-volt panel in order to get the juice I need to charge the battery? And does the charge controller have to be exactly matched to the panel? There´s a lot of flexible panels on eBay, charge controllers too, (most of it out of Hong Kong, but much cheaper than West Marine and Amazon) but the details always seem to be fuzzy. Any suggestions ?
Ben Miller

Re: Solar panel battery charging

Post by Ben Miller »

I've been looking into getting some solar power for my Typhoon (kept on a mooring, with an electric trolling motor). I haven't bought anything yet, so I know I don't know anything, but I have collected some sources of information. Hopefully they'll be helpful!

http://blog.dankim.com/2009/02/02/solar-power-on-boats/
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/solar_panel
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

on my '76 typhoon i start the season with a fully charged battery then rely on a simple 5W solar panel from Harbor Freight connected directly to the battery to keep the battery topped off. i simply rest the panel on a cockpit seat, then stow it away while out sailing. my electric needs are pretty basic with running lights, bilge pump/float switch and one cabin light. Been using the same $50 panel for five seasons now.
swparis85

Post by swparis85 »

johnL, what are the specs on the battery you use? this sounds like exactly the setup I am thinking about on my Ty. I wouldn't even add a bilge pump, just looking to add a few dome lights down below and a car charger for recharging phones/hand VHF.
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

Just a Group 27 AC Delco car battery. Presently i have a very slow leak in one of my thru hulls and the battery/solar trickle charger has kept up nicely with the bilge pump for the last three months.
Interlude

Post by Interlude »

If you are looking for an easy turn-key solution - solar panel, regulator, and connectors - to keep a 12v battery topped off. Here's what I've been using for the last month on my Typhoon. So far so good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark Lay

INTERLUDE
Naugus Alberg Typhoon #22 (1964)
Irvington, Virginia
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Here's another option if you just have USB Devices. These and some small battery powered LED lights and your good to go.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-Po ... B012YUJJM8

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-26800mAh-U ... B00M30B4IW
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

The panel should be a 12V panel, at the rated power. A 20-40W panel is likely the right size for the hatch cover.

Open circuit voltage can confuse the issue- a 12V panel can have 22-26V open circuit and that's what the charge controller limits to protect the battery.

Just a panel more than 10W, and you can boil a battery when it's fully charged and the panel tries to pump in more power.

Look at 12V, 10A solar controllers in the $20-40 range. Will post mine after checking maker/ serial number.

Panel and controller should be 12V and the amperage of the controller should be 2x the panel amperage for safety's sake.
Lisa G.

Post by Lisa G. »

E-Marine in Ft Lauderdale sells a 10 w marine solar panel kit that comes with a rail mount, controller already installed on the back of the panel. It is just plug and play. It worked great on my previous boat where I was on a mooring and needed to keep a battery charged and used cabin lights, VHF radio, and 12 v outlets. I just bought another solar panel system from them for my new Cape Dory 30. Lots of info on their web site and great customer service.

Lisa Goodwin
Pochade CD 30
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Lisa:

What make/model solar panel did you just buy for your Cape Dory 30 :?:

Thanks.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

They may handle bigger systems than the type you are considering but I do recommend talking to someone at Hamilton Ferris for good advice and maybe a recommendation for some components. The solar panel, echo charger, solar regulator and battery monitor I got from them in 2003 has made a very solid renewable power system for Femme over the years.

http://www.hamiltonferris.com
Paul
CDSOA Member