Moving my Typhoon Back

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

casampson

Moving my Typhoon Back

Post by casampson »

The rubber piece that fits into the bow bracket is broken, and the bow is resting on side of the metal bracket. I need to move the boat back two inches or so, so that I can safely trailer it down to the launch ramp, a distance of about a mile, without causing the bow to rub up against the bare bracket. Any advice on how to do this?

There is a large tree behind the trailer to which I could attach a stout rope. The only place I can think of to attach the rope is the bow cleat, and my experience is that this will result in the boat being pulled down instead of back, causing a lot of friction and defeating the purpose.

Thanks in a advance.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chrisa006

Re: Moving my Typhoon Back

Post by Chrisa006 »

The tree doesn't sound like a bad idea. The problem will come if you need to brake hard. Put something on the bracket once the boat is moved back to protect the bow.
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Post by Gary M »

You don't show a picture of the good side of the rubber bracket.

You may be able to remove the rubber bracket, cut it in quarters.

Then use the bottom quarter of the starboard side of the rubber bracket to become the port side.

The bracket would be half as high but would be padding for both sides of the bow.

Or buy a new rubber bracket and install it. It should drop out the bottom.

My $00.02
casampson

Post by casampson »

I dropped the back poppets, and the boat popped off the bracket enough so that I can squeeze some padding in there for a short-term fix. Thanks for the suggestions!
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

casampson wrote:The rubber piece that fits into the bow bracket is broken, and the bow is resting on side of the metal bracket. I need to move the boat back two inches or so, so that I can safely trailer it down to the launch ramp, a distance of about a mile, without causing the bow to rub up against the bare bracket. Any advice on how to do this?

There is a large tree behind the trailer to which I could attach a stout rope. The only place I can think of to attach the rope is the bow cleat, and my experience is that this will result in the boat being pulled down instead of back, causing a lot of friction and defeating the purpose.

Thanks in a advance.

Chris
-------------
Sounds like the long way to do the job. I do not think you need to move the boat, or loosen hull supports. From here it looks so much simpler to loosen up the clamping bolt on the horizontal vblock square tube holder, and slide it to the front of the trailer, which will allow you to unbolt and replace the old gray v block with a new better yellowish Urethane V block.
BC
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
casampson

Post by casampson »

Thanks for the reply. The problem is that I am sure the piece is rusted in place. It would probably take a torch to free it up.

Thanks again.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

The horizontal tube that we see in the photo almost looks as though it telescopes into a larger tube. That might be one way to gain some working space.
As for moving the boat back, how is the balance on the trailer now? The common rule of thumb is that 10% of the gross weight of the trailer should be on the tongue. If you move the boat back 2" there might not be any weight on the trailer tongue and that is dangerous, especially when walking around on the boat while it rests on the trailer. Be careful :oops:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27