Typhoon Weekender Boom Tent

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
Lily

Typhoon Weekender Boom Tent

Post by Lily »

Hi, Does anyone have a used boom tent for a CD Typhoon Weekender for sale, have a pattern/template for one, or know where we can have one made? Jim and Linda in Maine
Joe M
Location: 1984 CD Typhoon "Itilldoo" & CD10 No.315 Cape May, NJ

Re: Typhoon Weekender Boom Tent

Post by Joe M »

Linda - Jim, the boom tent that came with my Ty is made from Sunbrella material and is 6 ft X 4 ft. There are grommets spaced evenly on each side which I assume are for tie-offs to the stays, cleats, winches or other deck hardware. I've never used it. It seems too small to me considering the size of a Weekender cockpit. - Joe
Lily

Post by Lily »

So this may sound like a dumb question. We are new typhoon owners and very novice sailors. Do we need to worry about rain water accumulating in the cockpit when the boat is on the mooring and not in use for awhile? Seems like we need to keep it covered?
Linda and Jim
Joe M

Post by Joe M »

Good morning...the Typhoon's self draining cockpit will do the job. I've been on a mooring for the past 6 years and have never used a boom tent. Just keep the cockpit drains clear of debris and leave the seacocks open. Search the Forum posts for Typhoon seacocks and you'll find all you need to know about operation and maintenance. - Joe
Lily

Post by Lily »

Thanks, Joe. That's very helpful. Any idea of where to have a sailcover made where they already have the dimenions for the Typhoon Weekender?
Linda and Jim
Joe M

Post by Joe M »

Linda - Jim....my suggestion would be to use a local sail or boat canvas shop and have them do the measurements and placing of grommets for your boat. A lot would depend how you plan to use the cover, it you want open and closed ends, high enough to get under for shade or low and tight to reduce windage during a storm. - Joe
Chrisa006

Post by Chrisa006 »

Not the most high tech but a way to try one.

https://stingysailor.com/2016/05/21/mak ... ns-bimini/

I changed it by cutting the poles, adding a coupling and running a bungee down the center like a tent pole. makes it smaller when rolling up. It works and keeps the sun and rain off. Don't know if I would leave it unattended. If you do a little work it isn't to "Trashy looking". :roll:
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum