sooty Transom Mustache on 25D

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

EddieEdwards

sooty Transom Mustache on 25D

Post by EddieEdwards »

Hi Folks,
I have read most of the posts regarding the sooty mustache transom
They go back a while in date. Wondering if anyone has found a solution.
Tried the exhaust hose extension of 5.5" but it changed the location of the mustache.
Would love to know if anyone has a solution or did you just make piece with this matter.

Such an amazing boat, just hate having that soot on the transom after a trip.

Thanks

EddieEdwards
Sachiko
CD 25D #15
Skipd

Re: sooty Transom Mustache on 25D

Post by Skipd »

Hi,

Have had the problem, on and off it seems, over the past 4 years since I've owned the boat. One change made last year which seemed to help quite a bit was having a better fore-aft balance. I had installed a windvane which added 30 lbs on the transom. I wanted to balance it out by adding weight to the bow. Ended up storing 4 jugs of drinking water in the fwd lockers and keeping the spare anchor/chain in anchor locker. What I found was the boat not only sailed better but, when under power, the transom did not dip so much. Less dip, less mixing exhaust w/ocean water. Ended up spot cleaning the transom just a few times over the season.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

We don't have a big problem with this but it does occur and I usually do an area scrub down each spring during fitting out or sometime on a hot day in the summer. I suggest keeping the area well waxed prior to launching. That makes clean up easier and quicker. It may be a symptom of an incomplete engine combustion issue, so anything that helps complete burning of fuel would also be worth exploring i.e. injector cleaning, valve adjustments etc.
Paul
CDSOA Member
EddieEdwards

Post by EddieEdwards »

All Good Suggestions that I will explore Thanks!
EddieEdwards

Post by EddieEdwards »

Wow--I added about 100 Lbs in the front starboard hanging locker (4 Lead Bricks) it made a nice improvement to balance and less transom diesel soot. I may try an additional 25-50lbs. Just to see where the sweet spot of balance exists.Then secure them with metal straps an or epoxy.
The boat handled beautifully in Plum Gut rough 4-5 ft seas with large power boats throwing massive wakes (not to mention Ferry boats near Montauk point.

I guess the boat was designed for the weight of a significant length of chain. quite far forward