Rudder blade separating from stock/shaft.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dasein

Rudder blade separating from stock/shaft.

Post by Dasein »

Good morning,

Now that the weather is cooperating, I'd like to tackle an issue I noticed with the rudder on my CD25. The top 1/3 of the leading edge of the blade has separated from the stock. The image below is not my rudder, but it shows the issue exactly. The rudder on my boat allows a bit more access to the leading edge of the rudder than this Typhoon photo, so I am hoping not to have to remove it for the repair.

That said, does anyone have any recommendations on this project, products to use, products NOT to use, best practices, etc. I currently have West Systems 105 Epoxy Resin. Being as important as the rudder is, I'd hate to get it wrong or create further issues.

Thanks for any advice.
rudder.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
s/v Fiji Gin
1978 CD 25
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Re: Rudder blade separating from stock/shaft.

Post by Markst95 »

First thing to find out- is the rudder actually pulling away from the shaft or is the fiberglass just chipping off of the connection to the rudder post. If its the first it might require rebuilding the rudder. The second should be an easy fix with some epoxy and filler. I put some straps on my Typhoon rudder to prevent problems later and it has worked pretty well.

Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I concur with market - After reading about the rudder failures on Typhoons, during the restoration of my Typhoon I wrapped a piece of fiberglass cloth with West System epoxy around the rudder post and onto the rudder then faired it all down. I did this to prevent any water from getting into the rudder. So far no problem. There have been posts about this problem and its repair in the archives onthis web site.
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

One serious long term ageing issue on my Cape Dory 25 was the rudder.
From the rudder shaft down, there were 4 perpendicular SS pins that formed the backbone of the blade.
Well, with the passage of time and some heavy weather sailing, we experienced separation of the blade
from the rudder shaft; like a glove slipping off fingers. Fortunately a friend, who is a Stradivarius with a torch,
welded a SS plate the same profile as the blade, to the shaft. We then finished it off with sheet PVC foam and epoxy.
Yes it's slightly heavier, but no showed noticeable effect on tracking.
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
hinmo

Post by hinmo »

My thoughts exactly (kinda).

Mine has the fiberglass chipping off. To re-enforce and gain some confidence, I am going to sand down an area on the rudder both sides, and attach a length of stainless steel strapping and wrap it around the rudder shaft (it is thin enough to not bind with the hull when steering). I found/bought thicker strapping online to gain some strength, although its still thin enough and flexible.I will secure it with ss screws into the rudder and epoxy/mat over it.

I wish I knew where the pins into the rudder are, so I don't try and drill into the rudder in that area....but I guess that's what filler is for.

...its a plan anyway!
John H.
Mattapoisett, MA
1980 Weekender Typhoon " Sailing Shoes"
Dasein

Post by Dasein »

Thanks for the responses. Following Dick's suggestion, I also found a post addressing this (and supporting your solutions) in the archives: http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... ir#p158509.
Thanks again.
s/v Fiji Gin
1978 CD 25
Markst95

Post by Markst95 »

John- I don't know if they used it on the 25 but if your rudder shaft is bronze I would recommend putting in some type of seal between the stainless straps and rudder post. I used 3m 5200.
hinmo

Post by hinmo »

Ok Mark - will do, seems like the smart thing to do....any particular reason tho?

BTW - Thanks!
John H.
Mattapoisett, MA
1980 Weekender Typhoon " Sailing Shoes"
Markst95

Post by Markst95 »

Just seems like a good idea with dissimilar metals to keep them apart underwater.