Another Lock Your Prop article

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Another Lock Your Prop article

Post by Neil Gordon »

I'm not even going to consider offering the following additional comments/analysis:

With a three bladed prop, only one blade could be behind the keel whether the prop is spinning or not. That leaves two blades to do their mischief. But would the drag merely slow the boat or would it raise or lower the stern at the same time? I suppose you'd get a different answer port vs. starboard tack, and also depending if you have a RH or LH prop. I can see where lowering the stern a bit might increase the waterline length a bit, increasing hull speed. So that said and presuming it's true, would a locked prop or spinning prop create the most benefit?

What about prop walk? Would you point higher on one tack and lower on the other?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

How about a Jet Drive? No prop walk, no lobster pots, how hard could it be :?: :wink:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hey Neil,
:?: how long have you been a fleet Captain, just asking, :)
thanks winthrop
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

winthrop fisher wrote:Hey Neil,
:?: how long have you been a fleet Captain, just asking, :)
thanks winthrop
I was Northeast Fleet Captain 2010-2011. I'm the CDSOA Commodore now!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
darmoose
Mystic Rose

Post by darmoose »

Neil Gordon wrote:From Yachting Monthly. http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/gear/loc ... spin-29526

By the way, have you noticed that the button for starting a thread says, "New Topic." Should we petition the web masters for a "Here We Go Again" button?
Neil,

You still pushing this falsehood? :roll: This is a wonderful article that once and for all proves that a spinning prop causes less drag, not that there was ever any doubt, or that it hadn't been proved dozens of times previously.

I am totally vindicated. :D Thanks for bringing this evidence to the attention of all. Maybe you have seen the light, afterall? :wink:
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

having followed this thread/topic for a decade or so on this board, I've reached this conclusion:

Follow the manufacturer's instructions for your particular engine/transmission. Major repairs or replacement will most definitely slow most of us down.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
darmoose
Mystic Rose

Post by darmoose »

Neil Gordon wrote:having followed this thread/topic for a decade or so on this board, I've reached this conclusion:

Follow the manufacturer's instructions for your particular engine/transmission. Major repairs or replacement will most definitely slow most of us down.
You are absolutely correct, and I couldn't agree more.

But, I thought the question, all along was "does a locked prop or a spinning prop cause more drag?" (obviously irregardless of any other considerations), NO?? :roll:
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

darmoose wrote: But, I thought the question, all along was "does a locked prop or a spinning prop cause more drag?" (obviously irregardless of any other considerations), NO?? :roll:
I proved that locking the 3-bladed Michigan wheel on KAYLA could slow her down by as much as a full knot.
However, since I switched to a Campbell Sailor I routinely lock the prop just to get the throttle-shifter out of the way.

And just for the record: Any comparison between aircraft props and sail boat props is ludicrous - I have yet to see an aircraft prop designed for under water use.

Oh, yeah. That's just like in my 50+ years of sailing I have never seen a tiller boat carry an emergency wheel either...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!