CD25 Spreader length

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

olegreg

CD25 Spreader length

Post by olegreg »

Can anybody tell me the length of the spreaders. They were missing on my project boat and I need to fabricate new ones from tube stock.
olegreg
Astronomertoo

Re: CD25 Spreader length

Post by Astronomertoo »

olegreg wrote:Can anybody tell me the length of the spreaders. They were missing on my project boat and I need to fabricate new ones from tube stock.
olegreg
--------
Hello
I went out to my shed where my mast is hanging horizontally on the inside wall while my old 25 is apart and under major repair. Mine looks old and original, and will be dissassembled and painted buff later.

I estimate 30.5" each between where I think it contacts the inside of the spreader boot on one end, and is inserted into and wiggly inside the mast adaptor. It is fastened there in the adaptor with a machine screw with lock nut, but does not bottom out in the adaptor, and is free to move inside the adaptor. I would go with that dimension overall and leave an eighth of an inch clearance in the bottom when drilling the screw hole in the new tubes.
Bob C
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
olegreg

Post by olegreg »

Bob,
Thank you for the time you took to go out and measure this.
Next question, how is the shroud fastened to the outside end of the spreader tube?
A notch and some SS wire?
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

olegreg wrote:Bob,
Thank you for the time you took to go out and measure this.
Next question, how is the shroud fastened to the outside end of the spreader tube?
A notch and some SS wire?
--------------
That is what I would expect, but I have not seen these open. If you send me a PM with your email I will open one end and take pics and send you the pics. The boots are old and need to be replaced anyway. I do not know how to post pics here.
Bob C
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
NeilBraun

Post by NeilBraun »

I don't have measurements for you but they are notched. Also, and this may be important, they are swept back. A few inches out from the mast they bend aft.