OB in the well

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

hinmo

OB in the well

Post by hinmo »

Anyone try to push a CD25 with a honda air cooled 2.3hp? They sell a 31lb long shaft for around $900. My boat (yet to be launched) came with a serviceable older 6hp Johnson smoker, but I swear the thing weighs upwards of a 100lbs. With the 2.3, I could more easily pull it out of the well when desired. The 6hp is a serious chore.

I would only need the 2.3 to get back to my mooring.....nil current but sometimes some wind. Not looking for speed.

anyone every try the 2.3hp honda on a 25?
John H.
Mattapoisett, MA
1980 Weekender Typhoon " Sailing Shoes"
bgephart

Re: OB in the well

Post by bgephart »

I have no experience with the 2.3HP motor you mentioned. I also had a 6 HP Johnson that weighed about 85 lbs - it was a killer getting it in and out of the well. I have gone to a 6HP Tohatsu 4 cycle with a 25 inch shaft that weighs just under 60 lbs. It does a great job pushing my CD25 in any conditions. My only reservation is that the 25 inch shaft is so long, it is unwieldy to pull out of the well - not too heavy, just very long. Maybe consider the 20 inch shaft?
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

bgephart wrote:I have no experience with the 2.3HP motor you mentioned. I also had a 6 HP Johnson that weighed about 85 lbs - it was a killer getting it in and out of the well. I have gone to a 6HP Tohatsu 4 cycle with a 25 inch shaft that weighs just under 60 lbs. It does a great job pushing my CD25 in any conditions. My only reservation is that the 25 inch shaft is so long, it is unwieldy to pull out of the well - not too heavy, just very long. Maybe consider the 20 inch shaft?
The 20 inch will work fine. That's exactly what I bought for my prior CD25. Much easier to deal with. Since I was able to sail in and out of my slip, the outboard pretty much lived on the cabin sole only to be used when absolutely necessary... :)
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

John
20inch shaft has worked for me
What hull # is your cd25?
Pete
hinmo

Post by hinmo »

Pete - hull number 178 i think.

BTW: I had a 6hp thumper Tohatsu on my Catalina 25 in a previous life....I had alot of issues with it: ethanol in a new 4-strks with all their restrictive pilots/jets combined with infrequent use was not a good combo.... I also had a older merc 2 cyl (7.5 or 9hp), on another it ran great...strong as an ox, never an eth problem....I think the older 2strks had more forgiving fuel systems.

anyway, would love to try the light honda. Think I will list the 6hp on CL.
John H.
Mattapoisett, MA
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

The fuel problems will probably carry to the 2.3, but you'll avoid fouling of the intakes by going air cooled if you keep it in the well. I keep mine in the cabin in between sails for that reason.
My 25" sailpro reaches about halfway down the rudder. The 20" version would certainly be easier to manhandle.

Does the honda come with a high torque prop?

edit: no reverse on that 2.3, and it may or may not spin in the well, which you'd need for a slip.
hinmo

Post by hinmo »

Great Point. No, I am on a mooring, but am sometimes wimpy and prefer to motor on to the hook single handed. The thing about the the 2.3 is 31 lbs vs 85ish....not only the R&R, but I am 250+ lbs, so am thinking about the overall handling with an additional 50lbs plus hanging on the stern.

The ob is on CL now, but maybe if no one buys it, I will give it a try...love 2strks!
John H.
Mattapoisett, MA
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

John
The tohatsu 6 is listed at 60 lbs and not that hard to get in and out twice a year.you can solve the carb fouling by purchasing non- ethanol in Swansea mass not that far from Mattapoisett.
Hope this helps
Pete
hinmo

Post by hinmo »

Pete - yes, I have seen that gas on a Pure Gas website. Not a bad price either. Was wondering about the "108 octane VP Racing fuel" tho....ok to use in OBs?

I was thinking of doing that for all my small outboards. thx
John H.
Mattapoisett, MA
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

John
I cut it 50/50 with ethanol.
The gas I believe is leaded which is made for high compression motors and ? If good as a steady diet without cutting it.
Another alternative is to shell out some $$ at Abington Sunoco for a 5 gallon Pail or learn how to take the carb off and clean as yearly maintance:)
Pete
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

I recommend you find a station that sells ethanol free fuel in your area. most towns have at least one available. We use it for our boats and all yard equipment gas motors. Never use ethanol if you can help it. Cars are ok on ethanol and it has nothing to do with octane or lead.
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida