Buying a CD25 question...

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Will J

Buying a CD25 question...

Post by Will J »

Hello sailors!
I need a little advise please. There is a 1981 Cape Dory 25 for sale in Syracuse, NY. A friend in Milwaukee told me about the posting in this site. The price is affordable for me, but I'd still like to negotiate if possible. One reason, I live in Chicago! Shipping you would be big. All the photos seems to look ok. The underbody/ keel looks a bit messy. What are your thoughts? Is it worth investigating further? Is that a good year for the CD25? Are there questions you'd recommend I ask the owner? Should I forget about it due to the location? Any answers you could provide to help me would be fantastic. Thank you all very much. -Will, Chicago
Frenchy

Re: Buying a CD25 question...

Post by Frenchy »

Will, I'd forget about it. Look for something closer to home. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

Or you could have an epic summer adventure and bring her from the Finger Lakes to Chicago on her own bottom. Just a thought. Not many people ever get that much use out of their boat.
Chrisa006

Post by Chrisa006 »

I moved a CD25 last fall by truck and it cost $3 per mile. Must include the return trip as well, keep looking!!
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
steveg

Post by steveg »

Here is one in Milwaukee. It was on the sailboatlistings.com web site, just google cape dory for sale by owner and you should find it. They are asking $3,500. The ad was posted in June 2016. Not sure if it is still available.

If this works here is the link:

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/58529

It would be much easier to deal with there. Generally you are better off paying slightly more for a boat you can use now versus a project, unless of course you are just looking for a project and don't really care to be out on the boat.

Good luck in your search.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?
Will J

Post by Will J »

Frenchy wrote:Will, I'd forget about it. Look for something closer to home. - Jean
Jean-Pierre! Merci beacoupe! I thought as much but wasn't sure. Dartmouth, I see? Great place! Wonderful school. I've never been but have read all about it. Enjoy your sailing!
Will J

Post by Will J »

Chrisa006 wrote:I moved a CD25 last fall by truck and it cost $3 per mile. Must include the return trip as well, keep looking!!
Hello. Yikes! I'll keep looking. Thank you very much!
Will J

Post by Will J »

steveg wrote:Here is one in Milwaukee. It was on the sailboatlistings.com web site, just google cape dory for sale by owner and you should find it. They are asking $3,500. The ad was posted in June 2016. Not sure if it is still available.

If this works here is the link:

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/58529

It would be much easier to deal with there. Generally you are better off paying slightly more for a boat you can use now versus a project, unless of course you are just looking for a project and don't really care to be out on the boat.

Good luck in your search.
Hi Steve...Good question! Let's all go sailing. It will be 60 degrees here in Chicago this weekend. Thank you for the Milwaukee tip. I've seen it and visited it about 6 times!! We (my fellow sailors that know and can do all the needed repairs) said there was just to much work to do. I thought that maybe with this boat being an '81 it would have less work. I guess I just need to be patient. I'm not good at it. ☺
Will J

Post by Will J »

David van den Burgh wrote:Or you could have an epic summer adventure and bring her from the Finger Lakes to Chicago on her own bottom. Just a thought. Not many people ever get that much use out of their boat.
Hi David! Oh, if I could do that, I would!! That would be one great article, book, film crew on hand event! Sailing Magazine would enjoy my interview!
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Will, Je vous en prie. Good luck on your search. FWIW, I would try for a later model CD 25 with the bronze ports and nicer interior.
The extra money will be well spent. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
steveg

Post by steveg »

Hey Will,

Just remember, there are lots of boats. They keep building new ones and there are not enough of us to buy up all the old ones. Be patient and the right one will come along. Generally people selling will deal on them if they want them to go. Paying for one you have lost interest in quickly gets old. Condition is everything, well almost everything.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?