Filling Drilled Holes (replacement hinges on lazarette)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dasein

Filling Drilled Holes (replacement hinges on lazarette)

Post by Dasein »

I received the replacement hinges from my previous post concerning stainless hinges for the lazarrete covers on a CD25. The holes on the new hinges don't quite line up with the old ones. I could just widen the existing holes, but I'd prefer to do the installation "correctly". I'm wondering how I would best fill the old holes and yet partially drill through that repair for the new hinges. Appreciate any input.

For anyone looking for the hinges on this project, they are #201080-1 at http://www.sea-dog.com/groups/1287-butt-hinge
s/v Fiji Gin
1978 CD 25
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Re: Filling Drilled Holes (replacement hinges on lazarette)

Post by jbenagh »

1) Dry fit the hinges on the top, drilling just the size hole you need for the bolt. Remove everything, taking the hatch off and turning it upside down on the bench or sawhorse.
2) From the back side, drill a 1/4in larger hole, centered on the new bolt hole, stopping before you reach the top fiberglass skin.
3) Put packing tape on the top side, then fill with silica-thickened epoxy. After it cures, re-drill the bolt hole using the hole you drilled first as a guide.

As part of 2, you can also overdrill the old holes to fill also with thickened epoxy or you can use a bent nail in a drill to router out the balsa between the fiberglass and fill them with a syringe.

Jeff
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Re: Filling Drilled Holes (replacement hinges on lazarette)

Post by moctrams »

How come you did not go with Spartan Marine?

http://www.robinhoodmarinecenter.com/spartanmarine/