Mounting Radar

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mike Davis

Mounting Radar

Post by Mike Davis »

I just purchased an 18 inch Garmin domed radar. I have a CD31. I would like to mount it from the stern. Did anyone do that and how easy was the installation of the pole mount?
Mike
Wayne Grenier

Re: Mounting Radar

Post by Wayne Grenier »

All I can offer is if at all possible do not cut the cable. If you do, it has to be spliced in a metal box, using terminal strips, which is not bad with the normal wires but splicing the coax is a pain. Make sure the cable is long enough.
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Garmin has no coax cable, just a two wire power and a "Garmin Marine Network" cable which is really just Ethernet with some fancy waterproof connectors. For splicing they have double female waterproof connectors and they sell the waterproof ends if you need to cut a wire. You will need a standard Ethernet hand crimping tool (HomeDepot, Lowes, Amazon) if you do the work yourself. In any case it like 1000% easier than the old Raymarine coax and a gazillion wire setup.

I can't help with the pole mount since we have our Garmin mounted on the mast.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

bottomscraper wrote:Garmin has no coax cable, just a two wire power and a "Garmin Marine Network" cable which is really just Ethernet with some fancy waterproof connectors. For splicing they have double female waterproof connectors and they sell the waterproof ends if you need to cut a wire. You will need a standard Ethernet hand crimping tool (HomeDepot, Lowes, Amazon) if you do the work yourself. In any case it like 1000% easier than the old Raymarine coax and a gazillion wire setup.

I can't help with the pole mount since we have our Garmin mounted on the mast.
That's a perfect description, exactly what I have :roll: Works perfectly but takes an hour each spring to make all the attachments at the base of my mast.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Martinhilldpo

Post by Martinhilldpo »

On the subject of radar on sailboats, I have read a couple of comments on various web sites that wet sails will absorb/block radar waves. Anybody who has a stern mounted radar, do you get satisfactory radar performance ahead?
Carpe Diem!

Martin H. Vancouver Island.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Martinhilldpo wrote:On the subject of radar on sailboats, I have read a couple of comments on various web sites that wet sails will absorb/block radar waves. Anybody who has a stern mounted radar, do you get satisfactory radar performance ahead?
I'd never read that. My radome is mast mounted and I've used it on many occasions when it was raining while under sail. I never saw any blind spots on my display.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Martinhilldpo

Post by Martinhilldpo »

Thank you Jim. I found that information on several different discussions related to effective placement of radar reflectors. Good to know that wet sails dont impede transmission.
Carpe Diem!

Martin H. Vancouver Island.
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Mike,

I installed a Garmin radar on a Scanstrut Pole on the stern of Loonsong. I get great radar reception and even in the rain. It's a little tight getting a good lateral strut located for pole support but I managed. I did not cut the cable, and when I lower the pole, there is enough slack to allow the pole to lie in the cockpit for the winter. I ran it to a Garmin 740 xs head mounted at the steering station and it is a great setup for singlehanding. I can get pix if you want once the cover comes off this spring.

From a wiring perspective the installation was very easy, although I had to shave some of the bulk off the plug in order to fish it through my pedestal guard. I really did not want to fish the wire through the cabin to the mast. Since I have a deck-stepped mast, I didn't want another plug and hole at the mast base either. I think the 31 is keel-stepped, right? The drawback with a pole is that it adds a structure to the boat and doesn't sit as high. I can tell you i get fine resolution and distance from using the pole, so height does not seem to affect performance with the Garmin. The extra pole is an aesthetic decision you'll have to make.

Another option is a backstay mount. There are several nice ones out there.
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2