How is the weather where you are?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

How is the weather where you are?

Post by Oswego John »

I sure hope that it is better than what we have been through. I live in Oswego, NY on the Eastern shore of one of the Great Lakes, Lake Ontario. It had been snowing for over the past week in certain areas of the lee shore of the lake. The prevailing Westerlies blow across the open water and accumulate moisture which then dumps on the mainland.

This is a common Winter phenomenon for all of the Great Lakes. It is called Lake Effect snow. The snow travels in bands maybe five or so miles wide and where it snows is dependent on the whims of the wind. Well, after seven or eight days of constant snow, my area is totally whimmed out. "UNCLE".

The wind direction has changed very little all week. The Eastern shore from Oswego on the Southern edge to a few miles north of Henderson Harbour shared the brunt of the snow. First prize for total snowfall is the perennial winner, The Tug Hill Plateau.

Normally, snowfall is measured in inches. In severe blizzards, it might be measured in feet. On the Tug Hill they are measuring the depth with yardsticks. I kid you not. The weatherman's popular buzz word for snow intensity is "Inches per hour".

Mass confusion in the area. The Highway Dept. and DOT are trying to halt all traffic in order to help the plows get ahead of the snow. Not to be. Snow mobilers from surrounding states are homing in on this snowy Shangri-La in droves. Hotels, motels and diners can't handle the business. And the beat goes on.

Hey Zaida and Roberto, see all that you are missing?

Think spring.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
David van den Burgh

Re: How is the weather where you are?

Post by David van den Burgh »

Sorry about all the snow, but good to hear from you OJ. I was just thinking about you the other day. We've had very little snow on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan - unfortunately. I always talk myself into liking the snow and ice because it translates to higher water levels in the spring and summer. Lake Michigan seems to be doing better than the average. I hope the levels stay up!

Take care,

David
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

It is 58 in Nawlins now supposed to get up to 72 this afternoon.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
JimMc
Sarasota, FL

Post by JimMc »

Sarasota FL- this afternoon is 75 degrees, sunny, wind NW at 10. Going sailing later today.
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Boston area 40 and cloudy no snow cover
Looking forward to Bahia Honda in the fla keys the rest of Febuary
OJ how high does the snow get on Grace or is she in a shed?
Pete
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

David van den Burgh wrote:. . . I always talk myself into liking the snow and ice because it translates to higher water levels in the spring and summer. Lake Michigan seems to be doing better than the average. I hope the levels stay up!
Take care,
David
David, I hope you keep all of the snow that you get. Keep those lake levels high. When you send it down river we get flooding. Last year it was July before we could get rid of all of your snowmelt. I was hoping that the so called "global warming" would lessen the snowfall up north. It has sure lessened the snowfall here in STL . . . 1/2" total so far this year.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

OJ:

Thank you for asking :!:

As of this post the weather in the Miami area is pleasant. About 82 degrees with light easterly winds 8-10 kts, minimal humidity; very pleasant conditions. These daytime conditions are expected to continue through mid-week although on Thu/Fri we are projected to have a warming spell with temps 87-89 :!: I may have to bring out my beach towel and Speedo :!: :D :D :D

The week before last week was difficult. Night temps went down to 50-52 degrees. The area I live in (far inland) the temps dropped to 48-49. :!: We were fortunate to avoid snow. :wink:

I understand that rascal groundhog Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow so you guys will enjoy another 6 weeks of winter. Sorry :!: :(
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

OJ,
Sunny in coastal Caroline and about 50F.

I am familiar with your area--though it has nothing to do with sailing--Ft Drum. About 25 years ago I led a Marine Reconnaissance unit in a cold weather operation there. I jumpmastered a night time static line parachute insert of about 20 Marines off the ramp of a Marine KC 130. We pushed sleds with our equipment off the ramp with parachutes attached and then followed with our skies strapped to our sides. The vertical stabilizer of the C-130 was in the clouds. There was snow falling. It was fabulous.

It was cold as hell and it snowed all week. Not exactly the West Indies but it was fun for a week!
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

John

Oorah,

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490