Whisker Pole Use

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Whisker Pole Use

Post by Markst95 »

Got a new whisker pole- Haven't had much experience using them, I've just used a wooden pole in the past. Its adjustable and has a pin on one end and a clip on the other to hook to the mast. I'm worried that if I don't tie it and the pin pops out of the jib Clew grommet it might go overboard. Is there a recommended simple way to tie it off or rig a line to it?
Steve Laume

Re: Whisker Pole Use

Post by Steve Laume »

Something sounds a bit weird with your set up. Most poles have jaws on both ends. One end clips to the spinnaker bail on the mast and the other takes the spinnaker sheet, not the cringle. Some spinnaker poles had a pin on the mast end that fit into a socket on the mast. You should also have some sort of topping lift that will hold up the pole, even if it is not attached to anything else. So there should never be a treat of losing the pole.

There are some great you tube videos on setting up and using spinnaker poles, Steve.
Dasein

Post by Dasein »

I believe he might be referring to a pole set up similar to the below. Looking it up, it is referred to as a spike (vs. latch) end. I caught sight of the same in my boat but I haven't investigated it yet. Also, here is a discussion about spike (vs. latch) whisker pole use - http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index. ... ch.141184/. I'm interested to hear feedback, as I have only ever used latch end whisker poles.
whisker.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
s/v Fiji Gin
1978 CD 25
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I learned something new today. I was never aware of the pin type ends. I can see where it might be hard to line things up and keep it that way. I was thinking of the socket type ends.

Sorry for my first reply but maybe it will get the thread moving, Steve.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

For a Typhoon, the spike style will work fine. Here's a pic of my last Typhoon under 'full' sail with just such a whisker pole.
http://capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php ... te#p122047
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Yes thats the one I have. Michael is the pole tied off at all? I wouldn't be using a spinnaker but I assume the idea should be the same with my working jib going wing on wing.
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

Mark,
my pole is similar with a spike at one end but the other is basically just a hook with no latch. after having it drop out of the 135 then dropping to the deck and luckily not falling overboard, i drilled a small hole thru the hook end which attaches to the ring on the mast spinnaker track, and put a loop of 1/8"stainless aircraft cable thru, then threaded on a small brass snap hook, and finally secured the ends of the cable with a nicropress clamp. to wing out the 135 i put the spike thru the sail clew, then attach the hook end of the pole to the mast ring, trim the sheet to set the sail and keep the pole from falling out, and finally to attach the snap hook to the mast ring. a pole with a clasp on the mast end would make it simpler for sure and greatly reduces the likelihood your pole will fall overboard should the spike fall out of the clew.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Markst95 wrote:Yes thats the one I have. Michael is the pole tied off at all? I wouldn't be using a spinnaker but I assume the idea should be the same with my working jib going wing on wing.
No tie on, there was a clip on the mast end. The big sail was a drifter I designed and had made. I rigged it so that it could be deployed and retrieved from cockpit, even single-handed.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Farmer Wayne

Post by Farmer Wayne »

I have the same pole for my typhoon #897. When I go on the downwind leg I loosen the jib sheet so the clew is well forward of the stays. At that point I pull the clew closer to me with the other jib sheet and insert the spike. I push the pole and sail out and hook the other end to the mast. I used it all last year and had no problems. Forespar sells and end kit which I purchased because of the same fears you have but never used them. Hope this helps.
Farmer Wayne