CD 26 outboard recommendations

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Ken Textor

CD 26 outboard recommendations

Post by Ken Textor »

The CD 26 I recently acquired came with an old, tired Nissan 6 hp 4-stroke, which needs to be replaced. On its face, that seems under-powered for CD 26, which is in keeping with the PO's approach to sailboats. What say you? The Tohatsu 8 hp 4-stroke seems like a more appropriate outboard, if a bit heavier. Also, 20-inch or 25-inch? Thanks,

Ken in Maine
Dasein

Re: CD 26 outboard recommendations

Post by Dasein »

Hi Ken,
I will always suggest a longer shaft on an outboard. During a storm, you will have your hands full; no need to heighten the drama with a prop coming in and out of the water when you're trying to get back to safe harbor. As to horsepower, I have read that overpowering can lead the stern to "squat" in the water, rather than propelling the boat forward. Shaft length and thrust angle might influence this as well, I would guess. I have a Yamaha 8hp 4 stroke in the engine well of my CD 25.
s/v Fiji Gin
1978 CD 25
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Ken,
Our 27 has an 8hp diesel inboard, as do many of the 27s. The 8hp is adequate under normal conditions. Later 27s came with 13hp. The 27 weighs 2000# more than your 26. What all that means, I am not sure, but I do know that you will want the longer shaft. A few waves, a little hobby horsing, and add some crew forward that short shaft will be popping in and out of the water, maybe just when you need it most.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Ken,
I don't have any experience with a CD 26. But depending on what you expect the engine to be able to do, you can manage very well with an engine smaller than you might think.

I am very happy with a Honda four stoke 9.8 HP power thrust turing a 10" four blade prop pushing my 18,000 loaded CD 36 Far Reach. The key is to have a high thrust engine that turns a reduction gear and bigger prop. I also have no expectation of punching into a 3-5' chop and 30 knots of head wind. A smaller engine is easier to handle when removing it from your boat, uses less fuel, and does not take up as much room. The issue for me is not so much lack of HP but the engine is mounted over the side so it's vulnerable to swamping. In an engine well I'd have pretty much what I need.

But it all comes down to what you expect the engine to be able to do for you. If it's to push your boat out of and into a marina on moderate wind days you can get by with a very small engine. If you want it to be able to do more than you will likely want a bigger engine.

A CD 26 only displaces 5500 lbs I think. I used a 4hp on my 3000 lb J24 and never wanted for more. I'd assume you would want between 6-8 HP. By way of comparison Ben Zartman uses a 8HP Yamaha high thrust four stroke to push his 19,000 lb 31' Cape George cutter. I believe he circumnavigated Newfoundland and then motored much if the way home via the Hudson River. He and I discussed it at length and I recall he was very happy with the engine he has.

I'd say you want the cavitation plate at least 5" below the surface of the water in a static environment on a displacement hill so the engine will be less likely to cavitation in bigger swells.

I offer my perspective only as an alternative to the common view that you should aim for all the engine you can stuff into the space available.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

As a prior CD25 owner that also used a 6hp 4cycle, I'd suggest getting an estimate on rebuilding the current engine. Unless you spend a lot more time motoring (at high speed) vs sailing, the wear and tear should be minimal. If compression is low, look into re-seating the valves and replacing piston rings. You should also make sure you have a high-trust vs high-speed prop.

Both of the CD25's I have owned came with 9.9 outboards, far more than really needed.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Bibster

I have a Tohatsu 9.8

Post by Bibster »

4-stroke with electric start and remote control in my CD 26 and I highly recommend both the motor and the set-up -- the remote control has proved to be very handy when backing the boat. You definitely need to get the ultra-long, 25-inch shaft. If you do go with the Tohatsu, however, you will need to modify your outboard mount by placing the mounting board in front of the metal bracket with a 1/2" spacer of some kind between the bracket and the board. This will give you just enough room behind the motor to be able to open and close the cowling latch at the rear of the motor. Otherwise, the Tohatsu sits flush against the aft section of the outboard lazarette and it is impossible to remove the cowling if you want to check or add oil, do maintenance, etc.
Dasein

Re: I have a Tohatsu 9.8

Post by Dasein »

Bibster wrote:...electric start and remote controll
An amenity, but anything that keeps you from facing aft when operating the boat. I also have an electric start and remote control. Aesthetically I don't like the look of it in the cockpit, but it sure beats manually struggling with the outboard.
s/v Fiji Gin
1978 CD 25
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Electric start and remote control? Seems we are taking something that in its essence is simple (an outboard) and making it complicated.
Ken Textor

Post by Ken Textor »

Thanks all for your thoughts and ideas. Good to see the CD community is alive, well and helpful.

Rebuilding the old Nissan was given thumbs down by a mechanic. Too old and full of problems to be with the effort and $$$

A 6 hp might be fine for a CD 25. But with nearly an extra ton of displacement and about 30% more wetted surface in the CD 26, I have my doubts about only six horses. It is true, the best use of a sailboat's engine is during a calm, and that's where I plan to use mine ... primarily. But conditions can change suddenly and when I'm 200 yards from my dead-to-windward mooring and supper is getting cold, sometimes I "cheat" and fall back on the engine.

I'm sold on the 25" shaft recommendation and electric start does sound nice as I enter my 45th year of sailing. I'd rather save shoulder strength for cranking winches, not yanking on a starter cord. Thanks again,

Ken
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Yamaha makes a high thrust 9.9. It's a very powerful engine. It was my first choice but in the 25"shaft it only comes in electric start--which I did not want. It also seems to have a smaller profile than other outboards. It's expensive.

Honda makes a "power thrust" which is a high thrust outboard in an 8 HP. It comes in 25" shaft length. I purchased the 9.9hp and I have been been happy with it. However, it has a large profile and may not fit. I think they offer it with electric start and a remote throttle and shifter.

I'm not sure who else makes high thrust outboards, but I'm sure there are a few out there.
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

Ken Textor wrote:The CD 26 I recently acquired came with an old, tired Nissan 6 hp 4-stroke, which needs to be replaced. On its face, that seems under-powered for CD 26, which is in keeping with the PO's approach to sailboats. What say you? The Tohatsu 8 hp 4-stroke seems like a more appropriate outboard, if a bit heavier. Also, 20-inch or 25-inch? Thanks,

Ken in Maine
IF you sail in a lake, or waters with light currents, you can get away with a smaller power rating. And like others have stated 8 hp is plenty if it is an inboard with the prop down deep. But the outboards do not have as much drive if too shallow, and in a rough seaway might be having some cavitation issues, so must be as deep as you can make them. Plus if you are running an inlet with 6 knots of current at times, with an opposite wind against the tide, with standing waves, you will want more power than it would take to make hull speed in calm waters. All depends on the water you sail in. Plus, I guarantee you if you are trying to get thru a bridge or a channel squeeze point with a 25 knot wind on the nose, you will be happy to have surplus power when needed for the bad times.
I have had a Honda 7.5 on a 23 fter for those reasons, and am happy a Yamaha 9.9hp 25" Hi Thrust came with this CD25. Which means if I am in a bad situation I can get more than minimum hull speed when needed, and quieter operation with more economy when not needed.
BobC
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Or, you can wait and time your passage to work with wind and tide. There is much less risk when you work with the forces of nature instead of against them.
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

John Stone wrote:Or, you can wait and time your passage to work with wind and tide. There is much less risk when you work with the forces of nature instead of against them.
Ha! All true, but the inlet at Ft Pierce Fla, and the nearby high bridge often did not respect those plans in thunderstorm season, or with the impending south west winds on the nose leading the cold fronts of winter.
Fair winds
BobC
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida