clamshell vents on cd 28 stern

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

sailorpappy

clamshell vents on cd 28 stern

Post by sailorpappy »

There were two clamshell vents on the stern of my cd28. The one on the left (open to stern) got knocked off somehow. The one on the right (open facing forward) is still there. These are pvc and had accumulated some dark patches ... mold or mildew I guess. Since I have to replace one, I'd rather replace both. I've seen like kind replacements. Anyone think of a better idea for ventilation? Thanks.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: clamshell vents on cd 28 stern

Post by Neil Gordon »

Either the clam shells or cowls, I suppose. I like the cowls because they can be reversed fore/aft, as I occasionally have something on the stern rail that would otherwise block the air flow.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Ken Cave
Anacortes, WA

Post by Ken Cave »

Cowls are a better bet. In our marina, they had a problem with rats getting into boats and chewing up
everything. With Cowls one can put in heavy screening to keep the critters out. Try Defender for a set.

Ken Cave
Ron Churgin

Post by Ron Churgin »

if you want to save money, I find those clamshell vents often get knocked into the deep blue, I have had great luck using a 3 inch pvc right angle elbow, functionally identical, tho not as nautical looking
Ron Churgin