Sliding Companionway Hatch

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Sliding Companionway Hatch

Post by Markst95 »

I need to restore a companionway hatch this winter, one of the problems is where the hatch slides on each side is just fiberglass and has worn down. I would like to put a strip of something that will slide better any suggestions? Maybe starboard?
Kevin_P
Location: Former owner of "Meridian"1977 CD30C #58Milwaukee, WI

Re: Sliding Companionway Hatch

Post by Kevin_P »

Hi. I rebuilt the companionway hatch a few years back and added strips of UHMW just underneath where the hatch sections slide. The challenge was making the strips adhere to the fiberglass. After a few trial and error approaches, the final solution was to apply a special loctite adhesive (works with UHMW) and also fastened the ends and mid sections with tiny countersunk screws. The aft section portion was easier in that I cut out the hatch stops just enough to tuck the strips underneath and used the screws that were already in place for the stops. Make sure that the UHMW is thin enough. I don't recall the thickness of the material that I purchased. The hatch slides very well now and even better, no leaks. :-) I recently sold the boat, otherwise, I'd supply photos. Hope this helps. Thanks, Kevin
Kevin Petajan
"Vegvisir" - Young Sun 35

Former owner of "Meridian"
1977 CD30C #58
Milwaukee, WI
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Post by Terry »

Like the solution offered.

Looked up star board (HDPE) and UHMW--as I'm clueless on new plastics. Found comment on a machinist forum on differences. "2 different products, HDPE finishes nicer and easier and holds shape and tolerances much better. I prefer it over UHMW. Not that uhmw is hard to work with."

Lord Bless, Keep, Shine. . .
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I rebuilt my companion way hatch on the Far Reach to include the teak rails the hatch flange slides in. I cut dado slots in the new rails and epoxied in UHMW then cut new slots into the UHMW. The hatch slides effortless. Here is the link where we documented the details.

http://www.farreachvoyages.com/projects ... ahood.html