Cleaning masts and booms

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Scott B.

Cleaning masts and booms

Post by Scott B. »

My mast is unstepped for the first time. I would like to clean it up. what do people use to clean the surface of oxidation, oils, grease, etc. and maybe what to apply to protect it? Are there products that have been successful. Any experience info would be appreciated
Jim Walsh

Re: Cleaning masts and booms

Post by Jim Walsh »

I don't have oil or grease issues but the surface does get dirty. Especially stored on a rack for the winter. I use 3M marine cleaner and wax. Does the trick for me. Seems to keep things neat for a season. Gets the radome gleaming white also.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Thank you. I'll give it a try.
Lisa G.

Post by Lisa G. »

I like Collinite #850 cleaner wax. I was also happy to see this months issue of Practical Sailor that has an article on making your "Mast Look Like New" and they also recommend it.

Lisa
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Thank you. I will try it
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Just wash and wax

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Our mast is stored on a rack for the winter but it is covered in plastic which protects it pretty well. The furlers are also wrapped in plastic.

We just wash ours the same way we wash the boat, using a cap of boat soap in a bucket of water. Washing and rinsing is followed by compounding (only if needed) and waxing. You may want to remove the masthead, raise one end of the mast so that it's on an angle, and give the inside of the mast a good squirt too. It needs to be on an angle so that the water will drain from the mast. And while the masthead is off, remove the sheaves and clean them too. Lubricate the bearings on the sheaves before reinstalling them.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Thank u Cathy