Wheel steering pedestal removal and replacement project

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Jim Walsh

Wheel steering pedestal removal and replacement project

Post by Jim Walsh »

When I bought ORION it was evident that the base of the wheel steering pedestal had been repaired. Since the PO was deceased I couldn't get the particulars but I was able to determine the local boatyard in Bristol, Rhode Island, had effected the repairs. The repaired base appeared to be solid, there was no movement evident, so I hoped for the best. Being a practical man I also planned for the future and kept a weather eye for a Yacht Specialties replacement. This summer I finally located, through a fortuitous turn of events, a used replacement in perfect condition. Most CD's with wheel steering have Edson pedestals which are easily available since they are still in business, this is not the case with Yacht Specialties. They have been out of business for many years.
I planned to make the swap once ORION was hauled for the season and her winter cover was in place as it provides a perfect working environment until the bitter cold winter weather sets in.
The task is not complete, but I've provided a few photos of my progress so far. I apologize for the multiple postings but I can only load three or four photos at a time.
The real grunt work was done underneath the cockpit floor. I spent two and a half days just removing my compass, my wheel, my throttle and shift cables, and my compass light wire. All of which were a real pain, in the neck and other places.
Then came the real fun part. Removing the steering cables from the steering quadrant so I could feed them up through the pedestal to remove the steering chain. I'm not built to work in such a cramped place. No one is. Maybe a Leprechaun, a scrawny Leprechaun. Anyway, with that done I was able to turn my attention to removing the actual pedestal. With only four 1/2-13 X 3" bolts to secure it how long could that possibly take? How about a full day of cursing and whacking my hands, and parts thereof, with a 32 ounce ball peen and various other "persuaders". The mounting bolts were clearly inserted while a variety of caulk and some kind of filler were still soft. The threads were solidly gripped by them once they had set up and hardened. They were very difficult to drive out. It had to be done from below as the mounting bolts are flush mounted flat head machine screws.
The amount of corrosion and damage to the pedestal base which was finally revealed was astounding.
Attachments
The pedestal at the start
The pedestal at the start
image.jpeg (226.54 KiB) Viewed 801 times
The first bolt driven out.
The first bolt driven out.
image.jpeg (254.16 KiB) Viewed 801 times
The extent of the corrosion is evident.
The extent of the corrosion is evident.
image.jpeg (399.45 KiB) Viewed 801 times
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Jim Walsh

Re: Wheel steering pedestal removal and replacement project

Post by Jim Walsh »

The project continues.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (363.2 KiB) Viewed 800 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (388.91 KiB) Viewed 800 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (381.28 KiB) Viewed 800 times
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

The project continues.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (297.04 KiB) Viewed 799 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (472.68 KiB) Viewed 799 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (371.5 KiB) Viewed 799 times
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Now that the dry fit test is done I will remove the pedestal and have it professionally prepped and spray painted. :D
Attachments
The straightedge confirms I now have a flat mounting surface.
The straightedge confirms I now have a flat mounting surface.
image.jpeg (178.36 KiB) Viewed 799 times
The replacement pedestal ready to be put in place.
The replacement pedestal ready to be put in place.
image.jpeg (248.41 KiB) Viewed 799 times
The dry fit test looks great!
The dry fit test looks great!
image.jpeg (221 KiB) Viewed 799 times
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jim:

Very nice :!: You have inspired me (shamed me :( :?: ) into beginning a project I have been putting off - remove, clean and reinstall four (4) seacocks.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Yes, Jim, you caught that just in time and are doing a fine job. It's easy to be lulled by good appearances, as in
your first photo. I've never seen such corrosion and it's a good warning to be skeptical about everything.
I can commiserate about working under the cockpit. I've spent many hours in the CD 33 torture chamber
(the port cockpit locker) sliding downward head first , bracing with one forearm and trying to do something
with a tool in the other hand.
It reveals how much we love our boats. Good luck with the project. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

Another prime example of a CD production shortcut: exposed balsa core around a cutout. Did you see evidence of water intrusion in the area or around the boltholes?
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

David van den Burgh wrote:
Another prime example of a CD production shortcut: exposed balsa core around a cutout. Did you see evidence of water intrusion in the area or around the boltholes?
What you see is some type of filler covering 3/4" ply. I don't know if that's unique as I've not crawled around under any other CD31 cockpits. I've always surmised that the cockpit sole was replaced as the color of the non-skid does not match that on the rest of the boat. Judging from below the fiberglass work is very neat with no hallmarks of a "shade tree mechanic" having attempted his first fiberglass repair. It is also unpainted, whereas no other fiberglass is left unpainted belowdecks. There was no evidence of water intrusion but I epoxy sealed all the surfaces anyway since it was all exposed. I used a Dremel to tidy up the surfaces and re-drilled the mounting holes.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

Jim Walsh wrote:
David van den Burgh wrote:
What you see is some type of filler covering 3/4" ply. I don't know if that's unique as I've not crawled around under any other CD31 cockpits. I've always surmised that the cockpit sole was replaced as the color of the non-skid does not match that on the rest of the boat. Judging from below the fiberglass work is very neat with no hallmarks of a "shade tree mechanic" having attempted his first fiberglass repair. It is also unpainted, whereas no other fiberglass is left unpainted belowdecks. There was no evidence of water intrusion but I epoxy sealed all the surfaces anyway since it was all exposed. I used a Dremel to tidy up the surfaces and re-drilled the mounting holes.
I'm glad I was wrong and that it was sealed without water damage. Wish I could say the same for some of the deck fittings aboard Ariel. Good luck with the repair.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

That is an impressive amount of corrosion. It makes me wonder just what could have caused it to get so bad. Was there a bonding wire attached to the pedestal? Was there a problem with the alloy?

I know you will make it right but that was just so wrong, Steve.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Steve Laume wrote:That is an impressive amount of corrosion. It makes me wonder just what could have caused it to get so bad. Was there a bonding wire attached to the pedestal? Was there a problem with the alloy?

No bonding wire, just a poor casting. Our past Commodore, Mike Connell, also owns a CD31 with a Yacht Specialties pedestal. His pedestal base suffered the same malady. He was able to have it repaired, whereas mine was clearly beyond anything remedial.
I dry fit everything yesterday and today I turned the pedestal and its components over to the painters. I purchased new mounting bolts and I've soaked my chain and cables in xylene for the last couple days so I can visually inspect them. I may just replace the cables on general principle. The chain is size 50, it's tight, and shows no sign of wear.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jim Walsh wrote: . . . I've soaked my chain and cables in xylene for the last couple days so I can visually inspect them. . .
Jim can you explain a little more what you doing with soaking these items in xylene. What role does the xylene play :?: I assume it is used as some type of cleaning or dissolving agent. What metal(s) are the chain and cables :?:

Thanks.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Jim Walsh wrote:
Steve Laume wrote:That is an impressive amount of corrosion. It makes me wonder just what could have caused it to get so bad. Was there a bonding wire attached to the pedestal? Was there a problem with the alloy?

No bonding wire, just a poor casting. Our past Commodore, Mike Connell, also owns a CD31 with a Yacht Specialties pedestal. His pedestal base suffered the same malady. He was able to have it repaired, whereas mine was clearly beyond anything remedial.
I dry fit everything yesterday and today I turned the pedestal and its components over to the painters. I purchased new mounting bolts and I've soaked my chain and cables in xylene for the last couple days so I can visually inspect them. I may just replace the cables on general principle. The chain is size 50, it's tight, and shows no sign of wear.
In my previous life I did a lot of work on aircraft. The two things that fail most often are, things that have not been inspected on a regular basis, and brand new replacement parts that had an unseen defect or were improperly installed. Inspect carefully any part that you have removed and the same goes for any new part too.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:
Jim Walsh wrote: . . . I've soaked my chain and cables in xylene for the last couple days so I can visually inspect them. . .
Jim can you explain a little more what you doing with soaking these items in xylene. What role does the xylene play :?: I assume it is used as some type of cleaning or dissolving agent. What metal(s) are the chain and cables :?:

Thanks.
I just used it to remove 32 years of accumulated grease. I used xylene because that's what I had in my rustiest quart container :D The cables and the chain are stainless steel. The pulleys and quadrant are bronze and the cables were properly led so they don't show any wear. There are no meat hooks in the cables either. I still think I'll replace the cables for peace of mind.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Keith

Post by Keith »

Hi Jim,

The bottom side of the cockpit sole on MOON DANCE is not painted either. So I think that is what the factory did nor did not do in this case. As you said it is the only area on the boat that not painted. Your new pedestal looks identical to mine with the exception that my brake knob is black plastic not metallic.

Keith