Sailing "Cascadia" my CD30 Around the World

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve Laume

Re: Sailing "Cascadia" my CD30 Around the World

Post by Steve Laume »

Andy, you are doing a great job.

The pot handle drove me crazy. You really need to turn that thing to the side before the gimble tosses it off the stove or you hit it with your arm. Either way, a hard won meal hits the cabin sole, scalds you or both.

I like the part where you showed perfect sailing only to point out that it was horrible the day before. As time goes on you tend to forget the bad days and remember the good ones. That is what keeps you going. The best days always come after the worst, Steve.
mathiasben

Post by mathiasben »

Congrats on the passage! Would love to hear about your mainsail furler, I've been considering one and would love to hear anything you'd care to share about it.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Nice work Andy. Enjoy the South Pacific. We are heading to New Zealand over the holidays. If your plans are to be down there, look me up. I'll drop a comment on your channel too.

Congrats on a successful passage and all the best.

p.s. Cascade is looking good!
Paul
CDSOA Member
Doublebecket

Post by Doublebecket »

Hi everyone! thanks for all your great comments! I'm going to try to answer all your questions, but chime in if I forget something or you want to know more.

As far as the dinghy on foredeck, that's pretty much the only practical spot where it can go and I haven't had one problem with it up there yet. Our boats roll around too much for davits, and I don't think you could get it out of the water high enough on the CD30's to be practical.

They mainsail in-boom furler is great addition as you can select any size sail you wish, and you get a fully battened main which has always has great sail shape. It's my opinion that reefing is one of the most important, and yet dangerous aspects when sailing, so being able to shorten the sail immediately from the cockpit comes in handy. The "Jiffy" slab reefing system also can accomplish this for traditional mainsails as well. Sometimes, the furler gets snagged when furling, but that's only when I'm being lazy and don't want to properly come up in the wind to reef it. Most times I can get away with heading downwind and furling it in. Although, since leaving Seattle I've only used the a mainsail a handful of times as these past 6000 miles have been almost directly DDW. Most times I'm only using about 3/4 of my genoa unfurled.

And yes, I know I need to be more careful cooking! You should of seen what happened when I tried to make pancakes the other day...I'm still cleaning up the bisquick, haha.
mathiasben

Post by mathiasben »

Is it the Forespar system? or something else?
Doublebecket

Post by Doublebecket »

It's a ProFurl system, although they are all pretty similar. Oh one thing I forgot to add is that it takes a lot of strength to hoist, so much so that they give you an electric winch, otherwise it takes a couple minutes doing by hand. I actually left the winch back in Seattle because I didn't want to deal with keeping the battery charged for it and I rarely hoist it completely up as the winds are typically blowing 15-20 kts.
Doublebecket

Post by Doublebecket »

Greetings from Pohnpei in the Federated States of Micronesia! I made a quick vid of what life has been like over the last couple months. I think you'll enjoy it! https://youtu.be/TbfSUqtBT6U You can also read and view photos about the last couple passages at sailingwithandy.com

Fair Winds,
Andy
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Andy:

If you are into culinary pursuits at all you should make sure to get a supply of Pohnpei black peppercorns. I have been using them for many years. They are the best. My trips to Micronesia are rare these days so I order from a small market on Guam every 4-6 months. Since you are docked there you should be able to purchase at almost any market on the island. My first exposure to them was at the airport (literally then a bamboo shack) concession stand. Times they have changed. :wink:

Congratulations on your journey. It's great to read about and watch.

Buon Natale e Felice Anno Nuovo
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Doublebecket

Post by Doublebecket »

Roberto! You are the second person to tell me about these peppercorns...I better get out there I find out what all this hype is about. Thank you!
Martinhilldpo

Post by Martinhilldpo »

Doublebecket I went to your website which is absolutely fascinating thank you. We are planning on cruising from BC down to Mexico and across to Hawaii in a couple of years, retirement project and learning a lot from your videos and blog. Sail safe and keep them coming.
Carpe Diem!

Martin H. Vancouver Island.
Doublebecket

Post by Doublebecket »

Hi everyone! I made it safely to Palau. The trip has been amazing and Cascadia has performed flawlessly, with only minor electronics and systems needing to be repaired. Anyways, here is footage from last month as we sailed through the outer islands of Chuuk. I hope you enjoy! https://youtu.be/kQWtWS2eiJU
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Andy:

You are sailing around my old diving areas. I hope you got to try some Pohnpei peppercorns. I have another recommendation.

During your stopover in Palau I recommend visiting the Palau Pacific Resort (PPR) for a day for a luxurious "R & R". It is a short ride just over a small bridge from "downtown" Koror. You can rent a Jeep or take a taxi.

The PPR is a five star place. You used to be able to get day passes (they used to be called "day rooms") where you rented a room and you were allowed access to pool, sauna, restaurants, etc. and most of the facilities. It is nice way to enjoy a bit of luxury. I hope they still have "day rooms". Excellent buffets :!:

I will enjoy watching your most recent video post of Chuuk later this evening. I appreciate you using the accurate spelling for Chuuk. For years it was wrongly and sadly spelled "Truk" or worse, "Truck". Westerners sometimes have a real need to "Westernize" everything - even the most well-intentioned of us. I still have several good friends on Chuuk including the guys who own/run Blue Lagoon Dive Shop. I have as a prized possession a nautical chart of Chuuk Lagoon that I brought with me on a trip in 1981 that I was able to get signed by Kimiuo (Kimeo) Aisek - the original owner of Blue Lagoon Dive Shop, now owned by his son Gradvin.

The people on both Palau and Chuuk are some of friendliest, warmest, most open people I have met in all my travels. Enjoy your time on Palau.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Andy:

Just watched your video. Excellent :!: Thanks for posting.

Congratulations on founding a first mate to assist with matters aboard. :wink: :wink: :wink: Perhaps you could offer to loan her your fins so she could more easily clean the hull. :D :wink: :wink:

We will all look forward to more posts and videos.

Enjoy Palau :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Andy,
Great video. The production values are a treat. Glad you have a first mate to share the experiences with. Best of luck!
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Doublebecket

Post by Doublebecket »

Thanks everyone for the comments and support! I really appreciate it. This is my last vid before making our final push across the pacific. We will be leaving for Cebu sometime this week. I hope you enjoy!!

https://youtu.be/VBeVvNL9bgU