Any CD25 owners ever hear of failure of engine mount

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Keyscaptainadam

Any CD25 owners ever hear of failure of engine mount

Post by Keyscaptainadam »

dear 25 owners

i recently pulled out my original motor mount and replaced with epoxy laminated 3 inch block of white oak with new SS fastners and large starboard backing plates on interior of hull.

im considering a 1000 mile down the icw from long i to key largo in fall of 2017.

the motor mount feels like a weak point in the overall condition of vessel despite upgrading

anyone ever hear of a failure of mount connection to vessel?

Adam
SV Velella
S/V Velella .... CD 25 moored in Cold Spring Harbor, Long Island, NY
Sailing long island waters since 2009
http://www.adam-waywell.squarespace.com/
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Re: Any CD25 owners ever hear of failure of engine mount

Post by Terry »

Well, now that you mention it. . . Yup! :cry:

So I went to repower. I pulled the ancient--okay, 1976 Evinrude--out to replace with a Tohatsu SailPro, and found the teak mount a tad loose. I had one of my kids crawl into the cockpit lockers to loosen the nuts figuring I'd pull it out and do a nice sand and seal on the mount. What I found totally floored me. The "backing plate" was a piece of thin plywood, which had pretty much rotted away. I built a large backing plate for each side of the mount out of thick aluminum, thought stainless wood have been better. I also replaced the bolts and screws, sanded and sealed the teak board, and had my kid crawl in the locker to hold the nuts while I tightened it down. Works nicely. :D