Universal M18 Oil / Dip Stick

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob Ohler

Universal M18 Oil / Dip Stick

Post by Bob Ohler »

Last weekend I drained the oil from the bottom outlet on the bottom of the oil pan on my Universal M18. The engine had been warmed up to 160 degrees. I drained the oil with a vacuum style oil drain pump until I could hear the sound of air coming the engine. I pumped some more to be sure I had it all out. I checked the see-thru side of the reservoir of the pump. It was filled to the 3 quart mark. I removed and replaced the filter. The engine manual calls for 3 quarts of oil with filter change. I put in exactly 3 quarts. I started the engine and ran it to check for leaks, etc. I shut off the engine and checked the dipstick. The dipstick shows the engine has too much oil in it, perhaps by about 1 quart, but who knows?. Is the dip stick incorrect?
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
psjanker

Re: Universal M18 Oil / Dip Stick

Post by psjanker »

Bob

If you put in what the manual called for I would think that you would be good. I have the same M18 universal in my CD 30b...when I am next down there (perhaps this weekend) I could measure its length...perhaps what you have is a replacement?? I can also see what I put in when I change out the oil on the 12th of Nov....I fill from a 5 quart container so I use the dipstick vs. measuring out the quarts.

v/r

Pete
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

Bob

On the other hand if your dipstick was showing normal levels prior to changing the oil, and you took out 3 quarts and then put in 3 quarts...then your dipstick would have to show the same level. That is assuming your oil gage on the side of your pump is accurate. Seems like it could be a mystery. Oil filter being changed or not should not have had an affect.

V/r

Pete
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

Another thought just occurred to me. I added one quart from the end of a 1 gallon jug. The jug showed exactly 1 quart remaining. This makes sense. I would have used the first 3 quarts from this jug on the previous oil change. I then added 2 more quarts from 2 one-quart bottles. (Shell Rotella SAE30). I wonder if the markings on the side of the 1 gallon jug could have been off ... but by that much (?). Hmmm. Perplexing indeed.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Bob Ohler wrote: Perplexing indeed.
Nah, just blame it on the Cubs! :D
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

Same issue with the M25 - the instruction manual oil volume is based on level mounting (i.e. typical Kubota tractor installation) of the engine, and dipstick is reading based on the down angle imposed by mounting in typical Cape Dory installation. I base my oil fill on the dipstick reading, which is less. No problems in 8 years of operation. Am I right or wrong? Don't care - it's worked for me.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

Skip, great thought. Now I just have to decide whether to run it at 3 quarts as added and as per the engine manual, or trust the dipstick.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

Well, in my case its only about 8 ounces difference. If it were more than that I might agonize too!
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
nessie

Post by nessie »

I put in 2-1/2 quarts and the dip stick says she is full up. I just changed mine last week. About 2-1/2 drained out too. I've had it 5 seasons. It hasn't blown up. I wonder if it is because the engine is at an angle.