PSS Dripless Shaft Seal; care and maintenance

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

PSS Dripless Shaft Seal; care and maintenance

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Unfortunately, it looks like S/V Bali Ha'i will be out of the water for longer than I had anticipated.

I am in the process of going through various systems, etc., to make sure I perform the maintenance necessary to keep everything in good working order.

I read somewhere that if a sailboat will be out of the water for several months (over the winter, for example) that "if the stuffing box is dripless PYI type, loosen collar & let bellows expand."

I went to the PYI PSS website but did not see anything about "loosening collar, letting bellows expand", etc.

For those who have a PYI PSS dripless shaft seal what, if anything, do you do when laid up for the winter months (for example, Oct - Apr) :?:

Thanks in advance for any recommendations, advise, etc.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Steve Laume

Re: PSS Dripless Shaft Seal; care and maintenance

Post by Steve Laume »

Roberto, you're in FLORIDA! I don't think winter counts there, Steve.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Steve:

I am painfully aware that I live in Florida. :( We finally have high daytime temps in mid-80s instead of 95-98. The threat of an "H" is diminishing each day.

My question/concern has to do with recommended care and maintenance of the dripless shaft seal regardless of boat location. The recommendation I read somewhere said that if a boat is going to be out of the water for an extended period of time then "loosen collar and let bellows expand". This recommendation does not appear on the PSS website.

What, if anything, do CD caretakers do with the dripless shaft seal - even those laid up in Florida for 4-6 months :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Post by Steve Kuhar »

Roberto,

I am looking forward to hearing a reply from someone who may know for sure if that is an accurate suggestion. It sounds counterproductive to me to place a flexible substance in an atypical position for an extended non use period (kind of like storing a car with flat tires).

I do know that you are supposed to "burp" the seal when the boat is returned to the water. It is kind of scary to realize how little effort is required to cause a major leak when carrying out the burping process.

Steve Kuhar
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Steve Kuhar wrote:Roberto,

It is kind of scary to realize how little effort is required to cause a major leak when carrying out the burping process.

Steve Kuhar
I read that the bellows should be replaced every ten years or so. Between that and Steve's comment above is why I tossed the drip-less seal that KAYLA came with. I replaced it with a bronze packing gland from a friend's CD25D who was going drip-less...
Most bilge pumps can keep up with a leaky stuffing box, but I sure wouldn't want to pit them against a burst bellows!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Post by Jim Davis »

As one who has used a PSS for the last 16 years on my boat, I do not slack it when the boat will winter over on the hard. I do inspect it carefully at least twice a year using a flashlight and mirror to get a better view. I look for fatigue and cracking in the bellows, but more important is the hose clamps. Any sign of rust tells me that all of them need to be replaced. These hose clamps I do not buy at the local hardware store. This comment on hose clamps and inspection applies to "dripless" and conventional seals.

The PSS has six set screws holding the collar in place. There are only three holes. When securing the collar you first run a set screw into each hole and really twist it tight. The next three are lock screws to prevent the ones actually holding the collar from slipping or creeping. One other trick that I use is to put a hose clamp on the shaft tight up against the collar to back up the set screws and insure against slippage.

If your seal is an older one it will require burping after the boat goes back in the water. This is to insure that there is water at the sealing face. It only needs to be open for a second or so - just enough to have water squirt out. Newer ones have a vent hose that eliminates the need to burp.

Also do not spray it with any petroleum product.. The only things that should be used on the dripless are water and mild soap solutions.

Again this is just my personal approach to maintaining my own PSS seal and it has worked for 16 years and about 16,000 miles.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jim:

Thanks so much :!: That is some very helpful information. If it worked for you for 16 years I will keep my fingers crossed it will work for me - assuming I follow your advise.

I am not sure what year the dripless shaft seal was installed by the PO. I am sure it was before July 2011 (that is when I assumed caretaker duties).

The idea of inspecting the bellows and hose clamps at least 2x/year is smart advise. I must confess I have not carefully examined the dripless shaft seal on S/V Bali Ha'i. :oops: Long overdue. :cry:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Roberto,

Just a quick FYI: the "burping" process is very important:
a) it allows water to get into the bellows, which
b) gets the cutlass bearing "wet."

I'm just someone who likes things simple, hence my switch back to a packing gland.
The continuous drip from a properly set cutlass bearing insures the cutlass is kept "wet."
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!