Question on weight for a 1974 CD25 I;m looking to buy...

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Will J

Question on weight for a 1974 CD25 I;m looking to buy...

Post by Will J »

Hello sailors,

I'm going to look at a CD25 tomorrow in Milwaukee, WI. I'm very excited! It was made known to me that some boats might be lighter? That they added more ballast later? I took a photo of the oval plaque near the lazerette when I saw the boat for the first time and in the middle is says, "91." I'm guessing its hull number 91 from 1974. Is that the lighter boat or is the ballast still 1,700 lbs with the displacement at 4,000 lbs? Please help!!

Thank you all very much,
Will in Chicago.
mgphl52

Re: Question on weight for a 1974 CD25 I;m looking to buy...

Post by mgphl52 »

I've owned owned CD25 hull 648 & 693 & have no idea what the specific ballast have been.
However, I seriously doubt a few hundred pounds will make that much difference in the keel.
Now put that weight on the leeward vs the windward side and you will see a difference!
I'll leave the decision of where you want the weight in light air vs brisk air as a personal preference...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
jepomer

Re: Question on weight for a 1974 CD25 I'm looking to buy...

Post by jepomer »

The Cape Dory 25 weighs 4000 lbs with rigging but not including the outboard and other things one would take along. The 4000 lbs plus is what you need to know for trailering.

The metal ballast weighs 1700 lbs. It is located at the bottom of the keel. This is part of the 4000 lbs weight. The ballast provides a counteracting force to the wind on the sails to help keep the boat upright.

Displacement is the weight of the boat plus any additional people and "stuff" added.

Subtle differences in the words. Hope this helps.
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
Will J

Post by Will J »

jepomer wrote:The Cape Dory 25 weighs 4000 lbs with rigging but not including the outboard and other things one would take along. The 4000 lbs plus is what you need to know for trailering.

The metal ballast weighs 1700 lbs. It is located at the bottom of the keel. This is part of the 4000 lbs weight. The ballast provides a counteracting force to the wind on the sails to help keep the boat upright.

Displacement is the weight of the boat plus any additional people and "stuff" added.

Thank you! So is that weight on all the CD25's, even the early ones? The one I'm looking at is hull 91, from 1974. I had heard that there were a few built that were lighter? I hope not. I'm not worried about trailering as I don't drive, so I have no vehicle. I just like the fact that it's a heavier boat. So I hope the one I'm looking at buying is the ballast/displacement that you mentioned and the specks also highlight.
Will J

Post by Will J »

mgphl52 wrote:I've owned owned CD25 hull 648 & 693 & have no idea what the specific ballast have been.
However, I seriously doubt a few hundred pounds will make that much difference in the keel.
Now put that weight on the leeward vs the windward side and you will see a difference!
I'll leave the decision of where you want the weight in light air vs brisk air as a personal preference...
Hello and thank you! I see. Well I'm hoping it as the specks in the brouchure describes. Displacement 4,000 and Ballast 1,700. I had heard that a few may have been built lighter. I'm interested in buying Hull, 91 from 1974. I hope its not the lighter built version, if that even exists.
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

Will J wrote:
jepomer wrote:The Cape Dory 25 weighs 4000 lbs with rigging but not including the outboard and other things one would take along. The 4000 lbs plus is what you need to know for trailering.

Thank you! So is that weight on all the CD25's, even the early ones? The one I'm looking at is hull 91, from 1974. I had heard that there were a few built that were lighter? I hope not. I'm not worried about trailering as I don't drive, so I have no vehicle. I just like the fact that it's a heavier boat. So I hope the one I'm looking at buying is the ballast/displacement that you mentioned and the specks also highlight.

The hull weights may have varied over the manufacturing runs since each one was hand made. Since these boats were not manufactured to today's "one design" racing requirements, I wouldn't worry about the manufacturing variations.

The term "displacement" is the volume of water expressed as weight that the boat volume in the water replaces. Specifications play loose with the terms.

The Cape Dory 25 weighs 4000 lbs (± some amount) including the 1700 lbs of metal ballast in the base of the keel.
• If nothing else is added, the displacement is 4000 lbs.
• Add people, motor, fuel, water tank, "other" gear, then the displacement increases by the weight of the "stuff"

Boats have a design maximum displacement. That is the boat and the maximum weight of "stuff" you should load into the boat and still have it operate safely as designed.

More "stuff" can be added, but as some point the water will start overflowing into cockpit.
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
Will J

Post by Will J »

jepomer wrote:
Will J wrote:

The hull weights may have varied over the manufacturing runs since each one was hand made. Since these boats were not manufactured to today's "one design" racing requirements, I wouldn't worry about the manufacturing variations.

The term "displacement" is the volume of water expressed as weight that the boat volume in the water replaces. Specifications play loose with the terms.

The Cape Dory 25 weighs 4000 lbs (± some amount) including the 1700 lbs of metal ballast in the base of the keel.
• If nothing else is added, the displacement is 4000 lbs.
• Add people, motor, fuel, water tank, "other" gear, then the displacement increases by the weight of the "stuff"

Boats have a design maximum displacement. That is the boat and the maximum weight of "stuff" you should load into the boat and still have it operate safely as designed.

More "stuff" can be added, but as some point the water will start overflowing into cockpit.

Hello and thank you for your note. Ok, good. I feel better. The purpose of me buying this boat is I want to feel more safe in heavier weather. Lake Michigan, where I sail can really give us a wild ride. Sometimes fun and sometimes not. I'm also using it for myself and partner as a little summer home. I live very close to the harbor but want to spend the weekend on it, or on grey rainy days, play cards with friends or just read on my own little CD25. Again, thank you!
Cheers!
-Will
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

This will stir up some comments, I am sure. When we bought our 27 six years ago in Port Washington, WI, we had her survey by a well respected old timer surveyor. As we talked I told him I was having a hard time deciding between the 27 and a 28 that was just up the road. He said that both designs were very good, but that the best boat Cape Dory every made was the 25 :!: :!:

Best of luck, I think you will really enjoy your Cape Dory and she will keep you safe.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

tjr818 wrote:This will stir up some comments, I am sure. When we bought our 27 six years ago in Port Washington, WI, we had her survey by a well respected old timer surveyor. As we talked I told him I was having a hard time deciding between the 27 and a 28 that was just up the road. He said that both designs were very good, but that the best boat Cape Dory every made was the 25 :!: :!:

Best of luck, I think you will really enjoy your Cape Dory and she will keep you safe.
"Timothy":

I know you to be a good and decent man with a wealth of knowledge. As you noted, it was six (6) long years ago. As we age our memories fade. Given that the CD 27 and the CD 28 both have diesel and the CD 25 has O/B I am confident that your respected surveyor was commenting on the CD 25D, not the CD 25.

The CD 25D is, indeed, by all objective standards, "the best boat Cape Dory ever[] made . . ." As you know Tim I am an unbiased observer of all things Cape Dory. :wink: :D :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Roberto,
I have already mentioned my feelings on the lovely shear of the 25D. The 25D is the boat I set out to buy, but the Admiral did not like the mast support mast in the cabin and she felt that the 27 was the boat she could appreciate. I have not regretted bowing to her wish.

I do know that memories fade, and recall can be selective, but the quote that I remember was "...even thought it is not an Alberg design the best boat Cape Dory has made is the 25." At least I think that is what I remember :oops:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Doug Jesseman

Post by Doug Jesseman »

The Cape Dory 25 was made from a "Greenwich 24" mold which they purchased, and then renamed as a Cape Dory. Just don't ever try to stand up in one, unless you are really short. Changing out the engine is really easy though. Life is made of compromises. Good luck with your CD25 and I hope you have many adventures on the great lakes.
Carl Thunberg

With all due respect to Roberto

Post by Carl Thunberg »

There is no perfect Cape Dory, or any other boat for that matter. I have owned and loved a Club 420, Rhodes 18, CD25, CD30, San Juan 24, and a Boston Whaler (yes, power), each for their own reasons. There is only a perfect fit for a particular owner and their unique circumstances. My personal preference is a CD31 (which I do not own). All this talk of the best boat Cape Dory ever made is kind of silly.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

Will J wrote:
Hello and thank you for your note. Ok, good. I feel better. The purpose of me buying this boat is I want to feel more safe in heavier weather. Lake Michigan, where I sail can really give us a wild ride. Sometimes fun and sometimes not. I'm also using it for myself and partner as a little summer home. I live very close to the harbor but want to spend the weekend on it, or on grey rainy days, play cards with friends or just read on my own little CD25. Again, thank you!
Cheers!
-Will
Will,

The Cape Dory 25 will be "reasonably comfortable" as the winds pick up. I also have a Capri 22 (my primary sailboat) which at half the weight starts to demand my full attention when the winds go from 15 to 20 knots. At that point, I usually need to reef unless I have some "rail meat". The Cape Dory handles more like the "larger boats" and that will probably keep most nervous people more relaxed as the wind picks up.

Unfortunately, the Cape Dory 25 has a low overhead cabin — 5 feet max! There is some space to sit and play cards, but is not by any means "spacious". The Cape Dory 25D does give you the extra headroom. Both boats have a narrow beam (7.25" and 8.00') which makes them "trailerable" at the end of the season. But it limits the space inside unless the people like being very close — much like camping in a small pop-up camping trailer.

Moving up to 27 ft or so often gets that extra space in the cabin, but the beam increases over 8.5 ft requiring oversized permits to trailer.

It is important to identify what YOU want to do with the boat. Climb inside the cabin and stretch out like you intend to do on a rainy day. Every boat can be a good design. But the design needs to match your needs and desires.
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

~ Carl Lane
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Post by Terry »

jepomer wrote:
Will J wrote:.
Moving up to 27 ft or so often gets that extra space in the cabin, but the beam increases over 8.5 ft requiring oversized permits to trailer.
FYI 8.5 ft is trailerable these days without a permit. I forget when it changed. Some states allow 9 ft without permit.

I like my CD25, and she's been good to me. I'd like to be able to stand up in the cabin. But at 6' 5" I've become accustom to a world made for short folks. :D The really hard part is that there is simply no way I can sleep in the vee birth or the port birth.