Fuel shutoff solenoid and cable

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Capt. Tommy

Fuel shutoff solenoid and cable

Post by Capt. Tommy »

Recently had Ellie moved by truck from Sarasota to Jacksonville. The cable I pull to shut off the engine has become difficult to pull out, and my research thus far tells me that cable is connected to a solenoid that cuts fuel to the engine. My problem is, after several days of trying, I simply can't find a photo or diagram of where on the engine this solenoid is. I want to see if the cable is corroded or pinched or whatever, but not sure where to start. Ideas and suggestions are appreciated.
Capt. Tommy
S/V "Ellie"
Jim Walsh

Re: Fuel shutoff solenoid and cable

Post by Jim Walsh »

Capt. Tommy wrote:Recently had Ellie moved by truck from Sarasota to Jacksonville. The cable I pull to shut off the engine has become difficult to pull out, and my research thus far tells me that cable is connected to a solenoid that cuts fuel to the engine. My problem is, after several days of trying, I simply can't find a photo or diagram of where on the engine this solenoid is. I want to see if the cable is corroded or pinched or whatever, but not sure where to start. Ideas and suggestions are appreciated.
It would help to know which engine you have. My stop cable is connected to the stop lever adjacent to the throttle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Capt. Tommy

Post by Capt. Tommy »

Yes, that would have helped to identify the engine. Universal M25.
Capt. Tommy
S/V "Ellie"
Capt. Tommy

Post by Capt. Tommy »

Jim, your answer sparked a simple thought and basic question. Now I understand that a solenoid would be an electric kill, while my cable is a MANUAL system? I've been thinking my cable is attached to a solenoid, and wondering where and how that works; perhaps I don't HAVE the solenoid at all.
I'll be able to look at the engine itself more closely this week. Thanks for the insight.
Capt. Tommy
S/V "Ellie"
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

This may not be relevant, but I had a Cal 27 with Yanmar shut-off cable like the one Jim has. It froze up too and nothing
could free it up. A parts dealer told me it was a common problem and sold me a new cable-I think it was about $50.
I'm thinking you might free it up by removing it and taping a plastic bag with a hole in the bottom of the bag around the
cable and putting a little light oil in the bag. Hopefully, the oil will seep down between the cable and casing and free it up.
It's a trick motorcyclists use to lubricate brake and clutch cables. Good luck in any case. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

Not a solenoid-just a lever on the injector pump. Lubricate the cable from both ends, and all will be good,
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

In this instance 'cable' can be a misnomer as most (all?) shutoff 'cables' are really a single wire, unlike MC clutch and/or brake cables. If left in position for a long time they can become very difficult to lubricate adequately. My suggestion would be to replace the cable as they are not that expensive.

BTW, some diesel engines do have shutoff 'solenoids' but the are operated with a button instead of a cable.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

WD40 has worked every time for me.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Capt. Tommy

Post by Capt. Tommy »

Thanks all. Will do this weekend!
Capt. Tommy
S/V "Ellie"
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

By the way, it's a good idea to know where the manual fuel shut off lever is (i.e., the other end of the cable!) ... diesels are hard to stop otherwise.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

vise grips on the fuel line work in a pinch...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!