New Fuel Tank Fabricators

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jneely

New Fuel Tank Fabricators

Post by jneely »

I need to replace the fuel tank on our CD27 Troika. Does anyone know of a good tank fabricator on Long Island? Thanks for all replies.
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Re: New Fuel Tank Fabricators

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

I had Atlantic Coastal Welding http://speedytanks.com/m/ make two 48 gallon tanks for my powerboat this spring. The tanks were aluminum and epoxy coated (I'm sure you can ask them to skip the epoxy if you want) and were made quickly, on time, and for a reasonable price. They even met me at their shop on Easter weekend because that was the first day I had available to drive out their direction. I'd use them again in a heartbeat. They aren't in Long Island but they are in NJ and they are worth the drive.

I talked to them about making a tank for my Cape Dory as well and I think they have some Cape Dory tank measurements on file (though I don't know which models). I sent them measurements for my powerboat but they said I could also make a mock-tank out of plywood and mail it or bring it to their shop for them to match.
Northstar1014

Post by Northstar1014 »

The original 12 gal diesel tank in my 27 was made my Florida Marine Tanks -- probably the same as yours. I called them this Spring and they are still in business.

http://www.floridamarinetanks.com/
S/V RESOLVED. 1983 CD-27. Westerbeke W-13.

Massachusetts
David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

Not Long Island, but I'm very pleased with Luther's Welding. You can read about it here: http://ariel-cd36.org/wordpress/?p=24
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Here's another positive recommendation for Luther's. It may be a little out of your way but it's close to the Herreshoff Museam in Bristol R.I.. Well worth the travel time.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
jneely

Post by jneely »

Thanks for the replies. I brought the old tank to North Fork Welders in Greenport yesterday. They were highly recommended by some locals here on the East End.
Andy Denmark

Post by Andy Denmark »

I'll cast another vote for Luther's. Good finished product, quick turnaround, and easy to deal with. Suggestion: include a cleanup
"port" (screwed on with gasket under) on top surface to make cleaning easy to do.
s/v Rhiannon

"In order to be old and wise, one first must have been young and stupid ...
jneely

Post by jneely »

North Fork Welding got the new tank made in four days. I installed it yesterday and the engine is running again. Now if we could just get some sailing weather.