cape dory 28 foward hatch replace

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

arch007

cape dory 28 foward hatch replace

Post by arch007 »

My original forward hatch acrylic cracked and I replaced with plexiglass.

I wonder what to use for sealant ?

Also after putting it back together the starboard cam latch is too loose. I think I may be missing some washers. Can anyone provide either instructions or drawing of the cam latch ?

Thanks,

arch
Jim Walsh

Re: cape dory 28 foward hatch replace

Post by Jim Walsh »

If you have a Bomar hatch there are replacement parts available. Just google "Bomar latch dog assembly" and you're golden. I've never replaced a lens so I can't help you there.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

arch007 wrote:My original forward hatch acrylic cracked and I replaced with plexiglass.

I wonder what to use for sealant ?
That might be one of the (very) few places I would consider using 5200...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

I replaced both hatch lights,(lenses) a few years ago. Pompanette, who at the time owned Bomar I believe, recommended G.E. Ultra Glaze for the caulk. I got it from them. Clean aluminum frame properly, prime and paint if you want. The company said screws not needed.Has held up well, no leaks or issues.
CD 30c #42
S/V "Bluesails"
+ 41.69989
Wayne Grenier

Post by Wayne Grenier »

Take the old lexan out-go to a glassier-have them discuss with you the options in acrylics-tell them it is for a boat and have them sell you the replacement acrylic and the correct sealant. You can choose from may different materials and shades -clear, tinted-green etc. They will cut it to size and all you have to do is out it back in!
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Post by sgbernd »

The lens is easy, your local glazier can supply it. Take the old one down for a template.

The key is the glazing. Don't try 5200, it won't bond and you will get to do it over again in a year or so when it leaks again. As far as I am concerned, you have two choices, GE Ultraglaze SSG4000 or sikkens 295UV with primer. I have had good results with both but the primer cost of the 295UV makes it uneconomic unless you are a builder doing lots of windows. And you get to use about 5% of the primer and throw the remainder away.

You can use Lexan or Acrylic for the new lens. Acrylic supposedly is more scratch resistant but shatters more easily than Lexan. I have used both (because the local glazier didn't have the material I wanted). Sand the surface of the plastic with 80 grit sandpaper to roughen it up, wherever you will apply adhesive, then de-grease with IPA to get rid of any finger prints and mold release. Make sure the frame of the hatch is clean and contains no contaminants (particularly silicone from the previous lens). If necessary, scrape the channel with tools, then sand and clean with acetone and clean rags or whatever until it is absolutely clean and shows no residue.

The problem with the GE ultraglaze is that it takes 10-14days to cure fully so it is a job best left for the off season. I used small buckets partially filled with water to weight it down while curing.

Good luck,
s.g.bernd
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

s.g.bernd

IPA ? India Pale Ale?
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com