CD 27 - Throttle & Gear Shift Issue

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Richard G.

CD 27 - Throttle & Gear Shift Issue

Post by Richard G. »

I have a CD27 with Yanmar YSM8. The throttle and gear shift are together (separate levers) on the port side of the cockpit.

Wondering if anyone has had a need, and/or success in lubricating these controls...lately when I shift into reverse while in idle that action must be moving the throttle back and is killing the engine...always of course as I am pulling into the slip which makes it most exciting!

I have used WD 40 and other spray lubricants to varying degrees of success but thinking of marine grease perhaps at this point. Any suggestions on lubricating this area would be welcome.

Thanks,

Richard
s/v JOHNNY G
fmueller

Re: CD 27 - Throttle & Gear Shift Issue

Post by fmueller »

I have exactly the same problem ... the throttle is tending to bind to the taller shift lever ... absent disassembly I cant seem to get any penetrating type lube to help much ... and for that matter can't see easily how to disassemble either ...

thanks
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: CD 27 - Throttle & Gear Shift Issue

Post by tjr818 »

There is a allen head set screw opposite the levers that will allow you to remove the levers and lubricate. My question is why does the engine die? The YSM8 should not die at even a low idle speed. I suspect more than one problem exists. :(
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27