cape dory 25 thru hull installation ...

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Keyscaptainadam

cape dory 25 thru hull installation ...

Post by Keyscaptainadam »

Dear forum users,

I am attempting to DIY an installation of a THRU HULL in a CD25 with the interior liner. Will this have to be cut away in order to find the inside of the actual hull for proper installation?

Any input as to where inside the boat might be a good place to perform install.

And lastly, would an interior mounted transducer fare better?

Any leads CD users?

Adam
S/V Velella .... CD 25 moored in Cold Spring Harbor, Long Island, NY
Sailing long island waters since 2009
http://www.adam-waywell.squarespace.com/
bgephart

Re: cape dory 25 thru hull installation ...

Post by bgephart »

I would definitely opt for the inside the hull installation - I assume this is for a depth sounder? My CD25 has thru hull openings, but I no longer use them - I have installed a thru hull depth sounder and I use my GPS for speed. When I originally used the thru hull instruments, I had serious marine growth issues, so I would remove them between trips. But the water ingress from removing and reinstalling them damaged the teak wood laminate in my cabin. My thru hull transponder works great - you will have to cut a small patch from your inner liner to get the needed solid bond to the hull, but that is a minor job - I used a Dremel cutting wheel to do it.

Bob Gephart - Savannah
Keyscaptainadam

Bob

Specifically, what part of the liner did you cut away , i.e. ... where did you locate the transducer with good results.

I'm in the water a great deal and don't mind cleaning off the transducer periodically. I run a bottom cleaning service all season here in long island.

I find the thru hull transducers aren't all that great to get a good signal off the bottom.

As such, i'm going to use a 3 inch hole saw and open up the liner on the port side just aft the main bulkhead.

Once I drill a pilot hole through the boat's interior hull, I'll use a 2 1/4 in hole saw (per installation instructions) from the outside of the hull. Seal with Boat life underwater sealant and hope to get a good signal.

Adam
bgephart

Post by bgephart »

Adam - my two original thru hulls are in-line, located on starboard, about a foot aft of the bulkhead. I cut a small - about 4 " square - hole in the inner liner just forward of the first thru hull for my inboard transducer mount. We have mostly mud bottoms here and the Huminbird depth sounder has been very satisfactory with the inboard transducer mounting.

Bob
Keyscaptainadam

bob

i went with raymarine and used a hole saw to cut a 4 in hole in internal liner followed by a 2.25 inch hole for thru hull transducer.

success. works great

thanks for reply

adam
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Post by Terry »

Cassandra's original owner cut out a large access hole where the head sits. He used the plywood-box-filled-with-oil technique to hold the Ray Marine transducer. It didn't work when I bought the boat. I left the box, used epoxy to build a level area, then epoxied the Hummingbird transducer to it. Before actually gluing it down, I tested with vaseline to see if it worked. It did. I didn't like the way the hole could be seen beneath the head, so built a plywood base, and made it to allow the head to sit farther out than before. I screwed the base down, but it could just as easily be hinged for a hide-away storage box.

All the best.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I removed the huge fairing block and the transducer, then glassed in the hole on
Raven. I mounted the puck inside. It works very well and I have a nice smooth water flow over the hull. There doesn't seem to be good reason to put in a through hull as far as I can see.