Newfoundland

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve Laume

Newfoundland

Post by Steve Laume »

I have been working on all sorts of boat projects for the last two weeks while Raven has been hauled. There is still so much that could be done but I plan to launch this afternoon and sail tomorrow. The plan is to head out south of Nantucket then set my next way point for Sable island off of Nova Scotia. I will do a sail by or anchor there for the night if things are settled then on to the south coast of NFL. The rum line is about 950 NM so I will definitely get my sailing fix for this year.

I hope to see whales and meteors along my way and harvest some fish and stories, Steve.
Jim Walsh

Re: Newfoundland

Post by Jim Walsh »

Good luck Steve. Keep those whales and meteors at a safe distance :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Steve,

Lots of whales right at the entrance to Provincetown harbor, just a few days ago. (Also, the marina in P-town has a really nice ice machine where you can leave tuna steaks for your friends!)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Steve,

I have no local knowledge to offer you, but I will raise a glass and wish you more excitement than boredom and more exhilaration than terror.

Bon voyage!
Paul
CDSOA Member
CD_Sailor

Post by CD_Sailor »

Steve Laume wrote: ... plan is to head out south of Nantucket then set my next way point for Sable island off of Nova Scotia. I will do a sail by or anchor there for the night if things are settled then on to the south coast of NFL. The rum line is about 950 NM so I will definitely get my sailing fix for this year ...
Good on ya! I visited "The Rock" in 2010 and had a memorable trip, as I am sure you will also. My route was to sail from near Boston along the NS coast direct to Canso, and then head off to the French Islands and eventually the NF south coast. Somehow it worked. The CD 36 yacht "Evergreen" is also a frequent and knowledgeable visitor to Newfoundland.

Not sure what else I can add, but you may want to look at kerrydeare.blogspot.com and the 2010 entries therein for a few bits of information. Please contact if I can help.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Steve's been on his voyage for 19 days already. Hopefully he finds a wi-fi hotspot and gives us an update prior to his return. It would be good to know he arrived safely and is enjoying himself.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time