Securing a Bow Roller anchor on deck

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Securing a Bow Roller anchor on deck

Post by tjr818 »

I am looking for ways to store an anchor on the bow of our 27 we have a Guthrie roller that will take our 16# Lewmar Lunch Hook or the 25# CQR. The question is how do you secure the anchor shaft so that the anchor stays on board and doesn't bounce around? Spartan has these: http://www.robinhoodmarinecenter.com/sp ... -brackets/ they sure look nice, but I would like to see some pictures of them in use and I really want some ideas from others for methods that they use.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Paul D.

Re: Securing a Bow Roller anchor on deck

Post by Paul D. »

Tim,

There are probably a bunch of ways to take care of this. Our boat is like yours in that there is no proper system for making the anchor(s) fast on the bow. I've lived with our set up for 14 seasons so don't feel rushed! Our original surveyor scoffed and told me to get rid of our 35lb CQR as it was too big for the boat. I was however secretly very pleased to have one anchor size up for the type of sailing I knew we would be doing on Lake Superior's Apostle Islands where the winds change often and a robust anchor and rode make a big difference. I have not been disappointed. Only thing is it is still not a clean, efficient system on deck.

Currently I have a 1/4" line fixed to the starboard bow cleat. I use that to tie a trucker's hitch to the anchor shaft thus pulling it in tight with the plow against the roller. Works fine if inelegant. On passages or for expected rough going, I lash the forward part of the anchor to the bow roller. Stowing or releasing the anchor is pretty quick and it stays fairly well put for 90% of our sailing. Someday though I would love to fasten a skid plate where the shaft lays on the deck and install a windlass of some sort. Hauling up 50 feet of BBB and that 35 pounder is hard work if there is any sort of wind. Haven't quite figured it out yet though. I like the anchor locker but it does complicate things some.

I think a good idea would be to look at other boats for ideas, including non cape dories. Check out Yachtworld and look at Pacific Seacrafts, Luders, Allied Seabreezes and maybe Sea Sprites for some ideas that may work.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Post by Jim Davis »

Tim

I'm with Paul on this. A simple lashing for 99% of the time. For offshore add another at the crown/fluke. 1/4 nylon is fine and in a hurry you can just cut it. Pins and mechanical fasteners can get bent or jam at the worst times.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I think mine is a Windline but this is what I use to secure the anchor.

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?pa ... &id=934473

Not only will it hold your anchor in place, once you hoist it on deck but you can snub off your chain, quickly and easily at any point when deploying or retrieving.

I will sometimes enter an anchorage and then let the anchor out over the bow roller. When it is hanging freely from the bow I just snug up the chain and then sniff around until I fine the right spot to drop the anchor. At that point, I just walk up to the bow, give the chain a tug to release it and then lower away. I don't have a windlass so at times it is nice to take a break from hauling a whole mess of chain. All I have to do is drop the chain into the snubber and then give it a tug when I an ready to go again. With 4 through bolts and a good backing plate you can also snub off and break out the anchor when it is stuck.

It works out well on Raven, Steve.