Replacing typhoon lines

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mv-typhoon

Replacing typhoon lines

Post by Mv-typhoon »

Looked up in the owners manual the line length for the jib, and genoa lines. 32' and 20'. My question is is that normally I would cut one line and fold it in half and fasten it to the jib leaving two lines 16' long and even shorter for the genoa. Or is each section that length? 10ft lines dose not look like it would work for the genoa. If anyone know the magic number for sheet length for them let me know thanks
Maine_Buzzard

Re: Replacing typhoon lines

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

For normal sheets, tied to the sail and run to winches, each side will be one boat length for a jib and one and a half for genoas. I'd expect to have two 20' jib sheets and two 32' ones for the genoa.

Looks like a good time to buy 104' of 3/8". Vintage Sta-Set has a wonderful feel and looks good on any CD. The slippery polyester lines end up as halyards or other more permanent lines like topping lifts...

http://www.sailrite.com/PDF/Rope%20Sele ... ations.pdf

You can leave the sheets full length (64 and 40'), and make an alpine loop in the middle.

http://www.animatedknots.com/alpinebutt ... crollPoint

Leave about a 6" loop, and then Cow Hitch it by passing the loop through the clew ring, then pass the tails through the loop and pull through. Move the knot near the sails and it will roll over the shrouds with less snagging. In a few years you cut the middle, reverse the ends, and use conventional knots.
Mv-typhoon

Post by Mv-typhoon »

Thanks helps a lot
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

for any of a number of reasons my genoa sheets seem to end up wet for some of the length, so for a full length of rope i find the mid point and tie in a snap shackle. that way when i douse the genoa, the sheet gets detached from the sail easily and gets hung to dry while the sail goes back in the bag - being a hanked on sail as it is.
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

3/8" will be nicer on the hands but 5/16" works well, especially with the smaller Ty Cleats.
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Maine_Buzzard wrote:For normal sheets, tied to the sail and run to winches, each side will be one boat length for a jib and one and a half for genoas. I'd expect to have two 20' jib sheets and two 32' ones for the genoa.

Looks like a good time to buy 104' of 3/8". Vintage Sta-Set has a wonderful feel and looks good on any CD. The slippery polyester lines end up as halyards or other more permanent lines like topping lifts...

http://www.sailrite.com/PDF/Rope%20Sele ... ations.pdf

You can leave the sheets full length (64 and 40'), and make an alpine loop in the middle.

http://www.animatedknots.com/alpinebutt ... crollPoint

Leave about a 6" loop, and then Cow Hitch it by passing the loop through the clew ring, then pass the tails through the loop and pull through. Move the knot near the sails and it will roll over the shrouds with less snagging. In a few years you cut the middle, reverse the ends, and use conventional knots.
Am I reading you correctly? Manual seems to say the inverse, i.e., Jib sheet 32' Genoa 20' ...?
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

You are...

I have my doubts about the manual. Can you link to it?

If the jib was on a club foot with a block to the deck, I could see the 32' single sheet.

But never 20' for genoa sheets.

For my genoas, the lazy sheet has to circle back forward around the shrouds and mast to the winch, and needs to be long.

Run dead down, hold it out with a whisker pole, the distance from the clew to the far shrouds and back to the winch will be 25' or so on a 'Phoon...

I use both ends of 65' spinnaker lines on Guppy, I'd never believe it would take that much but it does.
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Hmmm, I see. On my Ty, have as written, and they function perfectly. I guess size of genoa also plays into this. But on Baggy Wrinkles I'm pretty much set up "stock" and the measurements were spot-on for me. I took the stock measurements from the back of the manual where it lists all the dories in sequence.
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Maine_Buzzard wrote:You can leave the sheets full length (64 and 40'), and make an alpine loop in the middle. . . . Leave about a 6" loop, and then Cow Hitch it by passing the loop through the clew ring, then pass the tails through the loop and pull through. Move the knot near the sails and it will roll over the shrouds with less snagging. In a few years you cut the middle, reverse the ends, and use conventional knots.
I would be interested to learn your thoughts on a Lark's Head knot if using one continuous jib or Genoa sheet. I used a Lark's Head on my jib sheet(s) on my Ty Weekender.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:I would be interested to learn your thoughts on a Lark's Head knot if using one continuous jib or Genoa sheet. I used a Lark's Head on my jib sheet(s) on my Ty Weekender.
The Lark's Head is described as prone to slipping if only one side is loaded. That said, I've never had a problem with my Genoa sheet(s) attached that way.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

Lark's head and cowhitches seem to be different names for the same knot. If it works, go for it.
James
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Maine_Buzzard wrote:Lark's head and cowhitches seem to be different names for the same knot. If it works, go for it.
James:

My apologies. As usual I was not clear. I agree the Lark's head and cow hitch knots are the same. What I am trying to understand is the advantage of adding the Alpine loop.

Thanks.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:What I am trying to understand is the advantage of adding the Alpine loop.
Is there something about my answer that you didn't like? :(
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

Oh! It lets you use the cow hitch without having it slip. I swap it from genoa to yankee without thinking too much.
The alpine loop snags less than bowlines when tacking and is fast to tie correctly.

Not cranky- but I can feel skeep's finger poking in my ribs...
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Neil Gordon wrote:
Sea Hunt Video wrote:What I am trying to understand is the advantage of adding the Alpine loop.
Is there something about my answer that you didn't like? :(
Neil:

No, I appreciate your answer. I had not read about slippage. Thanks.

My interest was in understanding Jim's use of the Alpine loop and then adding the Lark's head (cow hitch) knot. Neil, please try to remember I ain't the sharpest tool in the tool chest. :oops:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097