Tides marine Strongtrack

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

gates_cliff

Re: Tides marine Strongtrack

Post by gates_cliff »

My wife and daughter are watching the most recent episode of The Americans. I find this discussion much more fascinating!

Trying to envision how you'll incorporate a come along. I guess you could attach the anchor hook to the boom vang bale but how will The load hook attach to the track?
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

gates_cliff wrote:...Trying to envision how you'll incorporate a come along. I guess you could attach the anchor hook to the boom vang bale but how will The load hook attach to the track?
Anybody have a 2" long come along I could borrow? I am thinking a C-clamp might be able to do this, if I can get it to grab onto something. Stay tuned....
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Andy Denmark

Post by Andy Denmark »

Maybe going up a bos'ns chair, spraying silicon lube in the track on the way up and find a way to tap it down from the top, while (hopefully) lowering the chair.

Sometimes I want my boatyard back! A manlift would make this easy.....
s/v Rhiannon

"In order to be old and wise, one first must have been young and stupid ...
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

:D :D :D

Thanks for the ideas and support. Trying to knock it down from the top would be difficult because they cut the end at a 45 degree angle to minimize interference with the halyard. They warn agains any lubricant other than soapy water, which we did use. If there had been a pin further up the track maybe a come along could work.

After all the fretting and all the lost sleep I was able to pull the track back down in a little over an hours time today. There were two problems to overcome; one was just trying to get a grip on the track and then the unexpected problem of stretch. Do you have any idea how much stretch there is in 30' of plastic :?:
There is a 3/6" SS pin near the bottom that holds the track gate cover, it is tight against the back of the track so I could not get a good grip on the pin alone. I put the track gate cover in place and tried to pull down on the gate cover but it would rock toward the clamp and the clamp would slip off. A second bar clamp, snug but not tight, held the cover in place. Then I cranked down on the primary bar clamp, That clamp only has 1-1/4" of travel after pulling the track down the full 1-1/4" a loosened the clamp to get another bite. As I loosened the clamp the track just pulled back the whole 1-1/4". So nothing was gained. I tried again, but this time once I had taken the 1-1/4" with the clamp I just took a break to rethink and to let that pressure work on the track for awhile. That helped. After a ten minute break when I loosened the clamp for another bite the track only bounced back about 3/4". Progress :D . Using that strategy I was able to slowly pull the track down until the end touched to boom. This time I waited twenty minutes as I cleaned up extra tools, started putting the sail cover back on, and carried things back to the car. Now when released the clamp the track sprung back about 1/2". I do need at least 1/4" clearance to take the gate cover off and on. So, if the track doesn't spring back any more over night I think we are in good shape. I feel much better about the whole thing now. :D :D

The top of blue tape marks the starting point.
_DSC0016.jpg
_DSC0019.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27